𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗-13

Start from the beginning

۞ᕯ❂ᕯ۞

ᕯᕯ★ᕯᕯ

I had been at the infirmary for hours now, my only company was my sister Eleanor and her incoherent ramblings, and Rosabella, who sat elegantly at the edge of my bed, listening politely to Eleanor's chatter as she nodded along. Mid-conversation, Rosabella would glance my way and catch me staring, which was embarrassing since I'm not normally one to gawk.

"Anyways..." Rosabella began, "How are the preparations for the upcoming Ball where all the kings and queens of the seven kingdoms will gather?"

Eleanor clasped her hands eagerly. "Oh yes! The tailor will deliver my gown for the event tomorrow!" 

Turning to me with a smile, she asked, "And you?"

"It's an important gathering, with all the kingdoms we must make a good impression," I stated simply.

She chuckled. "Oh, same old earnest Ernesto, always focused on business..." Trailing off, she looked down as if lost in thought, something clearly weighing on her mind.

Had Rosan gotten to her too?

"Well, I can't wait to meet Queen Eira of Eldoria! I hope she likes me..."

At the mention of Vinter's mother, I suddenly remembered the task she'd assigned us - to investigate the sea spirit awakening near Frostfern. No doubt that airhead didn't recall either.

Come to think of it, the ship's disappearance and the sea spirit happened the same day...I wondered if there was a connection.

Just then, I spotted Pyrrhus walking past the infirmary gate. "Pyrrhus! Over here!" I called out. 

He flinched before making eye contact, then strode over hesitantly. Eleanor and Rosabella paused their dress chat to glance my way questioningly. 

Stopping by the curtain, Pyrrhus inclined his head deferentially. "Yes, Prince Ernesto, how may I be of service?"

"Could you summon Vinter and Rosabella's pick Icurus?" I asked. I considered adding Xavier, the boy with the odd prophecy about my brother, but thought better of it, not wanting to seem rude by continuously picking on Rosabella's students. I'd kidnap Xavi another night for questioning, I am sure Icurus wouldn't notice. He will be too busy flirting with my brother, I am sure of it.

Pyrrhus looked stunned, if not disgusted, at the mention of Icurus. Luckily Rosabella didn't notice.

"Alright...I'll fetch them," he replied.

Rosabella pursed her lips. "What do you need them for?"

I explained about the sea spirit Vinter had mentioned, thinking it might connect to the lost Silver Tide, and that Icurus's siren mother might know something. 

She raised an eyebrow. "Why didn't Vinter say anything last night?"

"He probably forgot..."

Smirking knowingly, she said, "Oh, so you forgot too...and just remembered because we mentioned Queen Eira, who I'm guessing assigned you this duty?"

"Yes..." I whispered, cheeks warming in frustration as she laughed and poked my nose playfully.

"I guess you're not as serious as I thought!" She winked, eyes glimmering with energy and joy, radiant smile warming me like a summer day. Lovely in all ways, a pity her mortality means such warmth must one day fade to cold. I cannot stop that, only watch helplessly. Alas, I cannot even do that.

My parasitic twin coughed violently beside us. "Ahem! Excuse me," she smiled sweetly, clearly miffed at being a third wheel. Now you know how I feel when you and Vinter get all lovey-dovey. Bitch.