"Okay! Okay!" General Pham threw up his hands in surrender.

"Any last words?"

"How about a truce?"

"A truce?"

"Look around Minjae, we have the same goal."

Minjae looked at him baffled.

"Think of it more as an alliance, I benefit you, you benefit me. We want the same thing, land, money, power. Plus as a token of trust, I'll give you my most prized possession."

"What could you possibly give me that I couldn't obtain myself?" Minjae questioned suspiciously.

"I'll give you my daughter."

Minjae was taken aback, his eyes widened in disbelief. General Pham's daughter?! Hanni?!

"And why would I want your daughter? She could be a spy for all I know." Minjae mocked, "How do I know you're not trying to infiltrate my empire with her?"

"You can test her loyalties if you'd like?" General Pham offered. "Or I could kill her, right here in front of you, I'm sure you wouldn't mind having one less nuisance, no?"

"No! Don't!" Minjae almost yelled but caught himself just in time. "I-I mean no."

General Pham cocked his eyebrow curiously and smirked, a look of understanding flashed in his eyes but he didn't say anything.

"Then you accept,"

"I suppose." Minjae sighed. "When will I receive her?"

"I'll deliver her personally when I feel like it."

"Good." Minjae's lips curled into a sinister smile. "Now get lost."

He kicked General Pham and sent him tumbling down the steps and into the battle below.

----------------------------------------

Back in Hanseong:

Minjae's POV:

And there I was, a month later I stood alone waiting for a girl that I knew nothing about to arrive at my palace gates. I anticipated her arrival with every passing day. Yes, I focused on my other duties but still Hanni took most of my mind. A part of me was excited but I had to keep it on the low. Yet anxious, why did General Pham have to make it so vague? Thinking back to the moment that they shared on the battlefield,

"I'll deliver her personally when I feel like it."

"I'll deliver her personally when I feel like it. Huh," I echoed.

Minjae paced around his study nervously awaiting Hanni's arrival before giving up and sinking into his cushion.

"Y-your Majesty!" A messenger burst into a room, clearly out of breath. "G-General Pham! His a-a-army...-huffs- He's brought...-huffs-...an army!"

I jumped up from my cushion and ran to my balcony, I could see an army of Vietnamese soldiers marching towards my palace gates. As they got closer, I noticed something strange. It appeared that they were escorting someone. Upon closer inspection, I could see that it was an exquisitely decorated palanquin with black Victorian lace curtains. I raced down and told the messenger to gather all the advisors and head officials to meet our new guests at the gate. The palace was in a mess and everything seemed a blur as I quickly tried to compose myself before the palace gates.

"General Pham!" I called out.

"Emperor Kim Minjae." General Pham boomed, he had an intimidating presence and a voice to match. "I am here to fulfill my promise."

With a flourish, he threw open the curtains of the palanquin and revealed Hanni sitting inside. She was blindfolded and her hands were tied behind her back. She looked uneasy and I could see that she was not happy with this arrangement but nonetheless, she made no move to object. She just sat there quietly.

"She's yours," General Pham said, handing her off to me like she was an object. "Treat her well."

"Thanks," I suspiciously replied.

At a snap, the guards carried her out.

"Let go." I curtly said.

Tenderly grabbing her arm led her back to the palace, keeping a firm grip on her arm as we walked through the gates. I could feel her trying to pull away but I held on tight.

----------------------------------------

I mentally scolded myself for not thinking this through. In a panic, I had ordered the guards to place her in the cellar in fear that she would discover who I was. All I could hope for was that Hanni didn't know who I was because otherwise, this would not end well for me. I wouldn't know how she would react if she had found out that the weak soldier she had taken care of in the cave was actually the emperor. But it was too late, I couldn't take it back now. The cell door closed behind her with a resounding click.

I'll visit her later.