Chapter 2.) Childhood

Minjae grew up in the palace, surrounded by luxury and privilege. He had everything he could ever want: fine clothes, delicious food, beautiful toys, and devoted servants. He had the love and attention of his father, the Emperor, who doted on him and spoiled him. He had the admiration and respect of his mother, the Empress, who taught him and nurtured him. He had the friendship and companionship of his friends, who played with him and protected him. He had the best tutors and mentors, who instructed him and challenged him. He had the most fun and exciting activities, which entertained him and satisfied him. He had a vibrant and bright childhood, full of joy and wonder.

Minjae was a bright and talented child, who excelled in everything he did. He was a quick and eager learner, who absorbed knowledge like a sponge. He was a skilled and versatile scholar, who mastered the classics, history, poetry, and the arts. He was also a fluent and eloquent speaker, who could converse in several languages and dialects since he reached the age of eight.  A clever and witty thinker, who could solve puzzles, riddles, and problems. And a curious and adventurous explorer, who loved to read books, visit places, and discover new things.

Minjae was also a strong and tough child, who enjoyed physical and mental challenges. He was a brave and fearless fighter, who learned martial arts, swordsmanship, archery, and horsemanship. He was a agile and graceful hunter, who tracked and caught small game, birds, and fish.  A loyal and honorable leader, who commanded and inspired his peers and subordinates. He was a competitive and spirited player, who participated and excelled in various sports and games. He was a daring and rebellious prankster, who liked to tease, trick, and mock his elders and betters.

Minjae was a well-rounded and balanced child, who had a harmonious and happy personality. He was a kind and generous child, who shared his wealth and gifts with the poor and needy. He was a respectful and obedient child, who followed the rules and customs of his culture and society. He was a humble and modest child, who did not boast or brag about his achievements and abilities. He was a cheerful and optimistic child, who always smiled and laughed, even in difficult and dark times. He was a loving and affectionate child, who cared for and cherished his family and friends.

Minjae was the jewel of the kingdom and his father's favorite. He was the pride and joy of his dynasty and his empire. He was the hope and future of his people and his nation. He was the son and heir of the Emperor, the crown prince of Joseon. He was Minjae, the miracle and the mistake, the blessing and the curse, the best and the worst thing that ever happened to his father.

Emperor Kim watched his son grow up with delight and satisfaction. He was amazed and proud of his son's achievements and abilities. He was grateful and relieved that his son was healthy and happy. He was confident and hopeful that his son would be a great and wise ruler. He was content and happy that his son was his son.

Emperor Kim also watched his son grow up with fear and anxiety. He was worried and nervous that his son's secret would be exposed and revealed. He was cautious and careful that his son's gender would not be detected and discovered. He was paranoid and suspicious that his son's enemies would try to harm and destroy him. He was guilty and ashamed that his son was his daughter.

Emperor Kim did everything he could to protect his son and his secret. He made sure that his son wore only male clothing and accessories. He made sure that his son had only male companions and attendants. He made sure that his son learned only male skills and hobbies. He made sure that his son behaved only in male ways and manners. He made sure that his son lived only as a boy and never as a girl.

Emperor Kim also did everything he could to prepare his son for his destiny. He taught his son the laws and policies of the empire. He showed his son the rituals and ceremonies of the court. He introduced his son to the nobles and officials of the kingdom. He exposed his son to the cultures and customs of the neighboring countries. He trained his son to be a leader and a ruler.