45

Adonis and I both got cursed with a dark version of ourselves when my father forbade us from being together. Adonis, the dark parts inside him tell him to kill me over and over again. Mine was smart. Helpful. But she also wants power. I stand in the tall building on the balcony, I can see the entire city from here, I look at the endless view. 

"My Lord?" a voice says behind me. "Everybody has gathered."

I look over my shoulder at her and nod.

I was The Lord now. Not a fake God, but a real one. Once I returned to my old self, she told me what we needed to do. And now I had an empire, an army, I had the entire world in my hands. Those on Earth who once mocked religion got on their knees when I appeared with my wings. Everybody answered to me now. Everybody did as they were told.

I was God.

She tells me everything to do and I follow it. She is part of my mind. 

When I push the doors open, hundreds of supernatural creatures bow for me. Except for vampires. Vampires would never follow a God. So, I've slowly been killing them all. Wiping out a species that rejects me. 

I wait to speak until everybody stands. I look down at them. They are all silent as they wait for me to speak. 

"Adonis Priest," I say his name. "He is out there somewhere. Hiding. I need you all to search for him and bring him back here."

For an execution. I killed Adonis once. I'll have him killed again - just not at my hands. This curse between us has a loophole. When you die at the hands of the other, you do not die, but you come back. I couldn't kill him myself. I needed somebody else to do it. Once I accepted her as part of myself I no longer felt love for him, she cleansed me of that. 

"But - my Lord, may I ask a question?" a male asks. I do not nod. I do not respond, yet he continues anyway. "You are supposed to help Earth, heal it, yet you are causing wars. Destruction. Why are you having country fight country?"

"Do not let him disrespect you," she says to me. "You are God. Not him. He answers to you."

"You question my ruling?" I respond.

"I-I just want to know, Ms. Valeria," he says while bowing his head to try and show some respect. "Why are you ordering for the destruction of countries?"

I wasn't. But she was. And she was just as much of me as I was. Her thoughts become mine, her actions become mine, anything she wants I want. And this was what she wanted.

I just stare at him. I don't respond. She says, "Those who question, get punished. Show everybody else you are not to be questioned."

I looked at the hundreds of other people in the room watching me get questioned. And if he got away with it, they could do the same. 

I begin taking slow steps down the stairs toward him. Everybody is silent. You could hear your own lungs expanding as you breathe. But he doesn't breathe as I approach him and stop in front of him. 

"I am your God, Nathaniel, you answer to me," I say the same words my father had said to me once. "Now. Bow your head for your disrespect."

He quickly gets down on his knees and bows his head. He starts a prayer - I hear it. As The Lord, I hear all prayers. 

I just choose not to answer them.

He prays for a second chance. He prays for forgiveness. But as I grab my blade out of my waistline and end his life, his prayers end, and they will remain unanswered until the end of time.

While continuing to hold the handle of the blade, I look at everybody. As my eyes scan the crowd, she begins laughing, her laughing gets louder and louder but my face remains blank.