Chapter 85

It's a massive electrical storm in three days and Owen has gathered us all in the main hall to debrief us

It's a massive electrical storm in three days and Owen has gathered us all in the main hall to debrief us. "This storm will bring in a lot of casualties." He starts "We're gonna need to make room for them, so let's discharge all patients that can be. Post-op and long-term patients are gonna be transferred to Seattle Pres further inland. We're gonna be bringing in supplements, water, food, meds, lighting. We're gonna be checking and refuelling the back up generators. As for you surgeons, push, postpone or cancel all elective procedures until after this storm." 

I glance around the room as Owen keeps talking, Alex didn't come home last night even though I know he wasn't working a night shift. He isn't anywhere to be seen and I am worried. I then spot Alex going over to Derek, he whispers something and then they both disappear, that's weird. Once Owen finishes speaking I head over to Meredith "What does Alex want with Derek?" I ask, she looks up from her tablet with a puzzled look. "I don't know, he didn't say anything other than 'Shephered I need you' He was quite omminous." She tells me, I frown before looking down at her huge stomach "Not long now right?" I ask and she sighs, also looking down at her stomach "3 weeks until the due date." She says rubbing her stomach "Derek thinks I should be slowing down, but I am fine." I raise my eyebrows "Derek's right, that baby could come any day now." Meredith just shrugs "If I go into labour at work, I'll be fine. We work in a hospital." I chuckle and move to hunt down my husband. 

When I finally find them, they are in the ER and I pause when I see the person lying in the bed. "What the hell happened?" I ask in shock, there is no way he didn't do this. He was gone all of last night and suddenly one of our coworkers comes in looking like he is on his way to a coma? "What does it look like?" Alex asks as he and Brookes look at a screen while Derek is checking his neuro function. "Brookes, what do you see?" My friend asks and I move over beside Alex "Like someone super messed him up." She answers casually and I snap "talk like a doctor." Her eyes widen and she tries again "Temporal bone fracture with an epidural haemorrhage." Alex and I turn back to the patient as Derek asks "How soon does the bleed need to be evacuated?" and Brookes responds "Like yesterday."

I cross my arms, Alex refuses to look at me and I wish I could get the full story but for right now I stay silent. "Book an OR. Let's get him up here." Derek orders and the intern leaves the area. Once she is gone he rounds on my husband "Karev, what the hell happened?" He whispers "Who did this?" Alex looks nervous, he spears me a quick glance before saying "Make sure he doesn't die. You can't let him die, okay?" Derek narrows his eyes for a moment before nodding and leaving us alone. 

I turn to him then and snap "Explain. Now." We both know that he was the one who did this, and I won't lie and say I wasn't the tiniest bit afraid of him right now and what he is capable of. Alex seems to realise this, a look of shock on his face as he remembers my history with violent men. He quickly starts to explain "I saw him and Jo arguing last night before I left the hospital." The intern that the guy in the hospital bed "He didn't know I was there and he started hitting her. I just got so angry that after I helped her back in the hospital I went out looking for him. When I found him he was already like this, then I stayed here with Jo all night. I wanted to make sure that she was okay." A sense of pride comes over me then and I instantly soften.