Chapter 67

"Where are we with Avery?" Owen asks after writing all of the residents' names on a whiteboard in a room all of the attendings are sitting in so we can brainstorm how we can get them to stay

"Where are we with Avery?" Owen asks after writing all of the residents' names on a whiteboard in a room all of the attendings are sitting in so we can brainstorm how we can get them to stay. "Holding offers from USC, Penn, Tulane and Emory," Mark replies and Owen starts writing down instantly. I rub my stomach and let out breathing, feeling the baby kick me hard "Tulane and Emory are in love. They want him bad." Mark explains while giving me a concerned look. Owen turns around "Grey?" He asks and Derek answers him while looking down at his pieces of paper on the desk "still between Boston and Seattle." Owen pulls a face before replying "if I'm gonna lose one of my talented residents and my top neurosurgeon, I'd love a decision sooner." Derek looks over at our boss with a grim expression "you and me both Hunt." he says.

He moves on and then writes another name on the board after writing question marks against the first two "Yang?" He asks and there is a tense atmosphere as soon as he says it. Proving to everyone Owen and Cristina are not on speaking terms. "She didn't tell you?" Mark asks voicing everyone's concerns making Owen hesitate so Teddy answers for him "Stanford and Columbia are playing hardball, but I'm confident that we're still in the mix." Another tense silence. Owen swiftly moves on to other residents. We soon realise most of our residents are leaving us, leaving a grim feeling in the air. Arizona sits up straight with a beaming smile "well, Karev is staying." She says cheerfully although he has never actually expressed that he is and is keeping his options open. I don't say anything.

"If we are out of this many surgeons, I'm gonna need to hire now." Owen tells all of us "so let's get answers from our people as soon as possible. Thank you. And let's not forget that we've agreed to assist Boise Memorial with their conjoined twin surgery, so make sure your teams are ready to leave from the lobby no later than 10 tomorrow night." Everyone gets up and files out of the room. While I still rub my stomach and waddle gently down the hall Derek catches up to me "how's the baby?" He asks and I smile weakly "I'm ready for him to come out that's all I am going to say." I reply and he chuckles. "Do you know the gender yet?" He asks and I shake my head "the scan is later today, I am excited and nervous." Derek nudges my arm gently "it's a shame you can't come to the conjoined twin surgery." I nod and sigh "yeah, it sucks that the coolest surgery is something I have to give to my fiancee because he knocked me up." We both laugh.

-

I am sitting in an office going over some pre-op notes before surgery when Alex comes rushing into the room. "Hopkins." He says when I look up at him, panting softly. I frown "what?" He scratches the back of his neck "Hopkins wants me." He explains. I smile and leap out of my chair. "That's wonderful news baby!" I say as we hug in excitement.

"I know," Alex says as we let go of each other "Hopkins is like the best hospital for paediatrics." I nod my head, settling back in my chair. "Are you going to take it?" I ask and he leans against the desk gently "I don't know, I mean I should. It's like my dream but....." He trails off and I know what he is thinking so I say it for him "Arizona would be pissed." He nods his head in agreement. I sigh and place a hand on his leg "you still have plenty of time to decide, I'll support you no matter what you choose." He smiles and kisses me passionately. "I love you, Andy." He says before leaning the room.

-

It's time for our scan and I am laying like a good patient on the bed and Alexis standing next to me holding my hand. "Alright, parents." Our OBGYN says animatedly "let's find out the sex of the baby." I look at Alex who gives me a shy smile. I then turn my head back to the screen and the woman says "congratulations, you are having a girl." Alex squeezes my hand and I smile brightly. Today has been amazing, Alex has Seattle Grace and Hopkins fighting over him and we found out we are having a baby girl.

Everyone is getting ready to leave for the conjoined twin surgery and I am listing things off to Alex before he leaves. "Look, De, I love that you are worried but you have no reason to be ok?" He says cupping my face with his hand. "I'll be back before you know it." I nod and peck him on the cheek "we haven't been away from each other this long, in a while." I muse wrapping my arms around his neck "however will I cope without you." He smirks and kisses me again.

Before he can say anything however Arizona comes barreling in with anger in her voice as she shouts "you son of a bitch. I had to hear it from Hunt?" She pushes Alex away from me and he hits his back against a wall. "What you couldn't even be man enough to tell me yourself?" Callie tries to pull her wife back as I make to step in between them. "Sweetie." Callie says soothingly before turning to us "she's had a horrible day. I'm so..." Arizona cuts her off "you ungrateful crap dog!"

Alex frowns, clutching his files tightly "it's Hopkins." He argues angrily "you went there. You of all people should know." she shakes her head, glaring at him "you are a miserable, miserable bastard." She says and I frown "that's enough Arizona." I warn but they both ignore me as Alex replies "Robbins, they want me. All right? They really want me." Arizona seems lost for words for a moment as she starts stuttering.

"You're actually going?" She asks, her eyes flickering between the two of us. Alex sighs "can we talk about this when I get back?" He asks, this seems to spur some movement in her as she snatches the files from him. "No!" She shouts "you are not going to Boise because you no longer represent this hospital!" They continue arguing and I rub my forehead. Callie comes up beside me "I am so sorry." She says "I tried to keep her away but she's not had the best time today." I shake my head, crossing my arms across my chest. "It's ok Cal, it was bound to happen eventually. Arizona wanted to keep both me and Alex here, but Hopkins is a good opportunity you know."

After everyone leaves, I look at Alex who seems a little lost. "I guess I don't have to worry about you not being here anymore," I say and he sighs, throwing an arm around my shoulder. "Let's go home." He says sounding defeated.