Chapter 83

"Do we have to go to work?" I ask pouting, Alex and I are currently lying in bed

"Do we have to go to work?" I ask pouting, Alex and I are currently lying in bed. Naked. Meredith and Derek agreed to take Willow for the night to give us some much-needed alone time. Plus Zola loves playing with Willow, so it was a win-win. Alex leans forward and kisses me gently from where I am resting on his chest "Yes, we've both missed too much work as it is. We don't need to give the CDC an excuse to be assholes." I groan and roll over so I am now lying beside him. The CDC is currently investigating Bailey because 3 of her patients have come back to the hospital with post-op infections. Two of them have died and one is in critical condition.

Alex climbs out of bed and I sit up, clutching the duvet to me tightly "I think it is bullshit that they think Bailey has anything to do with it. I mean not all of her patients are sick again right?" I argue. Alex sighs and moves into the bathroom, the sound of the shower comes on before he reappears in the doorway. "Let's stop talking about work until we actually get there." He says a planning smirk on his face. He stalks over to me and picks me up causing me to squeal "We still have time before we have to go in and I don't plan on wasting it." He says planting a firm kiss on my lips before carrying me into the bathroom. 

I am in a room with a patient, well the patient's mother while the OBGYN takes a look at the baby as we tell the parents about the plan. "Can I hold him?" The mother ass "after he's born? Just for a minute." I am standing beside Cristina as we listen to the OBGYN explain "he's gonna need to go right into surgery." Cristina adds with slightly less tact "Your baby has hypoplastic left heart syndrome and an intact atrial septum that is causing a restriction to blood flow." The dad looks confused so Cristina explains "he's fine when he's in utero but once he's out the condition is fatal." 

Jason, the OBGYM, adds "Which means he won't be getting enough oxygen. We'll let you hold him when he is stable." I suck in a deep breath, I normally let Arizona and Alex take over these cases because ever since having my baby, it has been hard for me if things go sideways for the child. But I am determined to move past that, I need to move past that fear. "Ok." I say, attempting to keep a positive look on my face "So we'll do the C-section, and then we'll have 60 minutes to get him to the cath lab and perform the operation to open his septum." 

The mother shifts uncomfortably on the bed "And if you don't make it in time, he could die?" She asks, fear flooding her eyes. I swallow hard and thankfully Cristina answers the question for me "No, we can do the C-section in the cath lab. It'll give us more time. Deliver in one room and operate in the other." The woman on the table raises her eyebrows "Can you do that?" She asks and I shrug "I don't see why not." Cristina muses.

When we leave the room Jason storms after us "There are about 1000 reasons why not." He argues and Cristina just glances back at him "You know, people have babies all over the place. Taxi cabs, high school bathrooms. If we don't have to waste time moving the kid from one floor to another why should we?" She raises a valid argument but I stay silent to see how this will proceed. "Because you don't do c-sections in cath labs." Is the OBGYN's only come back but I back him up "This whole situation is high risk. If something goes wrong, we don't have the tools on hand to deal with it." Cristina gives me eyes of betrayal and for a moment I feel bad about not siding with her. For a moment anyway. 

"Are your tools glued to the floor?" Cristina asks sarcastically "Bring them with you. We have an opportunity here to do something new and badass. I mean, don't you want to be the badass who delivers the kid in a cath lab? Who does that? Nobody, but you." The OBGYN smirks, folding his arms across his chest "ok. Ok, I'm in." He says. Cristina looks at me with curious eyes and I fold as well, sighing heavily "Fine, but you better not screw this up, Yang." I respond, a smile grows on her face.    

"Hey, Myers set up for the C-section in the cath lab." I tell Cristina when I eventually find her in the main lobby several hours later "We need to run through the steps of the procedure." The other girl looks over at me "How do you know the new guy?" I frown, pressing the button for the elevator "I'm sorry?" I ask. Cristina repeats her question, clarifying slightly "Dr Ramerica? How do you know him?" We step inside the big metal box and she presses the button for our floor. 

"Theo? He's my cousin." I explain, Cristina scoffs and shoves her hands in her pockets before asking "Is everyone in your family smart AND hot?" I chuckle and we step out of the elevator. "Trust me, Theo can be pretty dumb when he wants to be. When we were kids, he once got his head stuck in a box." I say, smiling at the memories of summers spent in Spain as a kid. Cristina doesn't say anything so I ask "How do you know him?" I assumed he was an ortho doctor and so would have no reason to interact with Cristina Yang. 

She pushes open the door to the room and responds "It doesn't matter, let's just do this." I smirk but don't press for answers. But I do hope something comes from this conversation, I know Theo and I know Cristina and I would like to think they would balance each other out. Although I don't know if my cousin is seeing anyone. I make a mental note to seek him out later, or maybe tonight can be the night he comes over for dinner. 

"When you two ladies are finished gossiping, we have a procedure to run through." Dr Myers says leering at the both of us. Cristina and I share a look before getting to work. 

-

Once we have the patient in the room, we prep her and get ready to go. "Scalpel," Myers asks the nurse who hands him the equipment, Yang and I are ready on standby for when the baby has been delivered. "No!" the woman says, her voice panicked "I can't do this. Not right now. His heart is ok now. And you all know that when he comes out, it's going to stop working." She starts sobbing "I'm not ready for him to die." Cristina and Myers look over at me, despite Myers's job being to deal with mothers and not the children they are both looking at me for guidance. Before I can act, however, Cristina steps forward.

"Look at me. Look in my eyes." She says coming closer to the mother "You have to do this. Your baby's life depends on it and you are wasting time. We're all here. We're all doing our best to save your baby's life. Breathe with me." They start taking deep breaths together and the woman is finally calm. "You can do this." Cristina says softly "Right?" She stands up straight and looks over at Myers "She's ready." And finally, we begin the procedure. 

Once the baby is out, the mother starts to ask questions "Is he ok? Is he alive?" Myers passes the baby boy to me, so that I may start my work and answers her "He's beautiful." The woman starts to sob "Thank you." As we rush from the room she shouts "Please save my baby!" 

In the next room, I lay the baby down gently and comand "Let's move, people." We start working on the baby with intense focus. "In the vena cava." Cristina says working through her part of the procedure calmly and surely "What is the oxygen saturation?" I look at the machine before responding "Thirty-five."  she continues staring at the screen. "Nobody moves. Nobody breathes." I command as the tricky part starts. "Perforating the septum," Cristina says after several moments of tense silence while she works.

We look at the screen and I frown "Why isn't the blood going through?" I ask and I watch as she quickly tries to hide her own confusion "Because I'm not through." She explains "Just give me a minute." We watch the screen intensely before seeing what we need to do on the screen "Now I'm through." She announces "Man I'm good." She giggles slightly and I sigh. 

-

As we are getting ready for bed Alex says "I think your cousin has a little crush on Yang." I frown, coming in from the bathroom. "What makes you think that?" I ask and he shrugs, collapsing onto the bed, running a hand through his hair "I have been working with him all day, he kept asking about my friends and asked a lot of questions about Cristina." He explains. This makes me smile as I also climb into bed, curling into his side "I think Cristina likes him too." I muse, picking up my phone. 

Alex snorts "I didn't think she would like anyone after Owen, that guy messed her up pretty bad."  I nod, flicking through the texts from my mother I got throughout the day. "I think we should try to set them up," I suggest and Alex pulls me closer, kissing the top of my head. "We should have them over for dinner." He says and I look up at him and smile "I was thinking the exact same thing."