Eleven

Marinette went over the plan in her head as she slipped on her MDC mask and exited the limo with Chloe at her side, entering the fray of paparazzi filled flashes and reporters clamoring to get interviews.

Her first interview was filled with the usual questions of her design process for her latest gowns. Her own dress, a dark pink, almost maroon, fabric that wrapped around her like a flower in bloom with golden leaves and flowers embroidered up the sides. Chloe's was a sleeveless blue ombre dress with embroidered gold leaves on the tulle layering.

It was after this interview, as well as announcing Chloe's role as her spokesperson going forward, that Marinette saw Gabriel enter the scene. And he wasn't alone.

Marinette withheld a disbelieving scoff at Gabriel's stupidity.

Oh, this is just too easy, she thought to herself as she observed Natalie escorting Lila out of the limousine, walking a small distance behind Gabriel.

Marinette wasn't sure what the man was thinking, bringing the lying fox to such an extravagant event. Perhaps he thought he could bury the rumors of his failings by using his 'muse' as a staple piece, or even a distraction. Either way, it wasn't going to work.

She could clearly see where Gabriel might have been going with the design: An old-fashioned a-line piece with faded colors and silver jewelry fashioned into a rose shaped choker with diamonds. However the design fell flat, and she could tell others felt the same by the dispassionate questions the interviewers were asking.

Her next interview was about her previous criticisms of Gabriel, conveniently enough.

"Yes, my previous criticisms of Gabriel stand. Although, interestingly enough, it is not him I would be watching out for tonight. Gabriel's little 'muse' has been building quite the reputation for herself. I won't say much since I know multiple people will be coming forward later this week to speak on it, but I'd watch out for her if I were you."

Her cryptic warning caught her interviewer's attention and Chloe decided to cut the interview there before more questions could be asked.

The two young women walked into the gala, sharing secretive smiles and a fistbump between the two of them.

Between all the people she now had connections with and the people that have already commissioned her, she's already been in contact with all the people Lila's lied about.

Lila has been thoroughly blacklisted, she just doesn't know it yet. But she will know when she and her mother receive cease and desist orders, restraining orders, and severe fines for libel. All in good time.

Marinette made her rounds as MDC, then discreetly slipped down a back hallway to the restrooms, locking herself in a bathroom stall.

"Are you ready, Marinette?" Tikki asked with Kalki and Trixx sharing an excited grin between them.

"Ready, Tikki. Kalki, full gallop! Trixx, Kalki, Merge!"

Calling for her transformation, Marinette thanked her lucky stars that Adrien was out of town as she summoned a portal. If she was going to avoid the extensive security system outside the mansion, then the best way to do that was to portal into Adrien's empty room.

Stepping through, the eerie darkness of the empty room left an unsettled feeling in her stomach. Or, maybe it wasn't just the darkness that was bothering her.

"Do you feel that, Tikki?" The tingle that went up her spine left goosebumps in its wake.

"I do, Marinette. But, I'm not quite sure what it means."

"Either way, make sure to stay close to me."

Calling for Mirage to hide herself from the cameras, Marinette eased the door open, creeping down the hallway.

The path to Gabriel's office felt unnecessarily long, the marble staircase making the trudge forward even more unnerving. Reaching her destination, she deftly nudged the door open and slipped inside, closing it behind her.

"Alright, Tikki, do your thing."

With a cheeky wink that thankfully lessened her feeling of dread, her Kwami zoomed through the portrait of Emilie Agreste and unlocked it from the inside.

When the decorative metal door swung open, Marinette quickly scanned the contents of the safe.

A victorious grin rose up at the sight of the Grimoire, but her smile froze in place and fell at the object next to it.

Is that what I think it is?

Unthinkingly, almost guided by instinct, Marinette reached out and snatched the Peacock Miraculous from the shelf and brought the object closer to her face, examining it, almost in disbelief.

"Marinette, do you know what this means?" Tikki's quiet voice urged her forward towards the inevitable conclusion.

With hardened features and a calming breath, she looked into the eyes of her Kwami.

"Tikki, use your powers to search for any more of Gabriel's secrets, then it's time to bring the chief of police up to speed on the investigation."

_________________________

Damian had scanned the ballroom high and low, but his Angel was nowhere to be found. Even Bourgeois didn't know where she had disappeared to. He had just begun to worry that something had happened to her when Bourgeois got a text alert.

From a distance, he watched as her brows furrowed and then upon reading the contents had become shifty. She glanced around to make sure no one was paying attention to her, put her phone away, and discreetly made her way out the front door of the ballroom.

Believing that something may have happened to his Beloved, he had just begun to follow the blonde when the red and black spotted heroine of Paris slammed through the doors with what seemed like the entirety of the Parisian police force following her lead.

Her penetrating gaze landed on her target and her voice seemed to command the room into silence.

"GABRIEL AGRESTE!"

Eyes locked onto her prey, with all the smooth grace of a striking viper, she stuck forward, the tight cord of her yo-yo leaving no room for escape.

"You are under arrest for terrorism against the people of Paris! Your reign as Hawkmoth is OVER!"

Gabriel snarled at her as he struggled against his unyielding binds, "You have no proof, you useless insect!"

She yanked him forward in response, pulling him to his knees in front of her. Her small frame now looked down slightly into the man's eyes with an intimidating glare.

She reached forward, snatching the Butterfly Miraculous hidden behind his tie and held it up for all to see.

"This, right here, is all the proof I need."

"Venom!"

The shout drew people's attention away from Gabriel and towards his assistant Natalie, who had discreetly been trying to slip away and was now frozen, and the yellow and black clad heroine next to her, holding a spinner and a victorious smirk.

"Chief Raincomprix, I'll let you take things from here."

"It would be my pleasure," the officer nodded with clear respect towards Ladybug, slapping cuffs on both of the suspects, taking them into custody.

The heroine turned, clearly believing her work to be done when someone in the crowd caught her attention.

"Miss Rossi," her eyes narrowed, "I may not currently have evidence of your involvement with Mr Agreste's activities, but I will take this time to warn you. I will be watching."

And with that, she led the charge out of the ballroom, Queen Bee and the officers falling into step behind her.

Left behind in the wake of her presence, was a shell-shocked rageful girl, a gossipy public, and a young man that had been struck by a realization.

Mask or no mask, he'd recognize her anywhere.

In the back of his mind he could almost hear Todd's voice saying, "Damn, that is one badass chick."

A Ladybug's Wrathजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें