Jealousy's path to love

Req by-----> TheMonaRamona

Kara Danvers and Lena Luthor were both clueless when it came to matters of the heart. Despite their undeniable chemistry and deepening friendship, they remained oblivious to the love that blossomed between them.

It started innocently enough, with Lena's gaze lingering a bit too long on Kara's smile, or Kara's heart skipping a beat when Lena touched her arm. But they brushed these feelings aside, attributing them to mere admiration and friendship.

As time passed, jealousy began to rear its head. Kara couldn't help but feel a pang of envy whenever she saw Lena talking to other people, especially men. Lena, on the other hand, felt a twinge of jealousy whenever she saw Kara with James Olsen.

Their friends noticed, of course. Alex and James exchanged knowing looks, while J'onn, with his Martian senses, could practically feel the tension between the two women whenever they were in the same room.

One evening, at game night in Kara's apartment, the tension finally reached its breaking point. Lena arrived late, having been held up at work, to find Kara laughing and chatting with a handsome new co-worker from CatCo. Jealousy flared in Lena's chest, and she couldn't tear her gaze away from the scene unfolding before her.

Kara, meanwhile, couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had settled in her stomach ever since Lena had arrived. She tried to focus on the game, but her attention kept drifting back to Lena, who seemed to be avoiding her gaze.

Finally, unable to take it anymore, Kara excused herself and made her way to the balcony for some fresh air. Lena, sensing an opportunity, followed her.

"Kara, can we talk?" Lena asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Kara turned to face her, and the look of vulnerability in Lena's eyes melted her heart. "Of course, Lena. What's on your mind?"

Lena took a deep breath, steeling herself. "I... I can't do this anymore, Kara. I can't watch you with other people and pretend that it doesn't bother me."

Kara's heart clenched. She had sensed Lena's distance, her aloofness, but she had hoped it was just her imagination. "Lena, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I'm in love with you, Kara," Lena's voice cracked with emotion. "And I can't keep pretending that I'm okay with just being your friend."

Kara felt a surge of conflicting emotions. She wanted nothing more than to wrap Lena in her arms and tell her that she felt the same way. But she couldn't. Not when she was Supergirl, a symbol of hope and justice, and Lena could get hurt if she does that, she can't involve her in that imminent danger of her life.

"Lena, I... I care about you so much," Kara began, her voice trembling. "But I can't... I can't be with you. Not like this."

Lena's eyes filled with tears, and she took a step back, as if Kara's words physically wounded her. "I see. I understand," she said, her voice hollow.

"No, Lena, please, you don't understand," Kara reached out to her, but Lena pulled away.

"I understand perfectly, Kara," Lena's voice was cold, distant. "You're Supergirl, and I'm a Luthor. I was foolish to think that we could ever be anything more."