Fire | Four

It was like she was on a mission. The minute they'd hopped off the coach, Jody had pulled out her phone and was already following the SatNav's directions to Rick's place. 

This would've have been fine, had it not been for Tyler, now lugging both his and Jody's luggage up the hilly road. 

"Jody! Just... slow down, please!" he shouted after her, panting slightly from exhaustion.

Jody whirled around looking a little guilty. She'd been so caught up in the idea of staying at Rick's over Easter, her mind focussed on a complete change of scenery that she had forgotten where she was and who she was with.

"Sorry! Just excited," she admitted.

Tyler raised an eyebrow at her. "So, you're not just coming along because you're lonely and have nothing better to do?"

Jody pulled a face, she'd forgotten how irritating Tyler could be sometimes. And yes, as per usual, he was right.

"Look, I've been meaning to catch up with everyone from the DG... might as well start with Rick!"

"Even though you've barely spoken to him?"

"I... you were closer to him than I ever was!"

"Excuses, excuses..."

Jody rolled her eyes, managing a small grin at last.

"I wasn't lying though. I am really excited. Still, I thought you said you'd lost contact with him?"

Tyler nodded silently, before glancing at the sky.

"We should get a move on. Looks like it might rain."

****************************

The coffee in his hand only seemed to make his throat drier. The small talk had ended and Tyler had run out of things to say. Seeing Rick after everything... it was a lot. But, it was the only option he had right now.

And he couldn't exactly afford to stay with anyone else.

"I am sorry for turning up like this. Just thought it'd be nice to see you again, been ages!" Jody was saying, completely unaware of Tyler's sudden silence.

"Yeah, it has. Just been very busy with this little one," Rick smiled, glancing down at the baby in his arms. Arlo.

His life and soul. His everything.

"He's adorable. And you seem happier than ever, fatherhood really suits you!" Jody replied, a glow lighting up her face.

She used to hate babies back in the day, but now... she realised just how beautiful and precious they could be. How wonderous it could be to be surrounded by new life. Already, she was feeling ten times better than she would've been stuck in her flat.

"It's getting late. Tyler, you might have to sleep down here, there's only one bed set upstairs..."

"Oh, sorry... I didn't even think!" Jody exclaimed guiltily.

Tyler shook his head and smiled. "It's fine, Jodes. I'm used to sleeping on sofas anyway."

She recalled when they'd run off to Elektra's place. Somehow, this was beginning to feel a little de ja vu. She paused momentarily, as Rick placed Arlo back in the rocking chair. He was babbling a little bit now, his eyes curiously exploring the room.

She offered to take him upstairs to try and get him to fall asleep. It was the least she could do. Rick smiled as she took Arlo in her arms and bounced him gently, cooing. He watched as she made her way up the stairs, until the room fell silent and it was just him and Tyler.