𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒: 𝐔𝐧𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬

                  ❝𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴 𝘯𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳
                               𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘯 ❞

I GOT MYSELF INTO a lot of trouble. And by that, I mean a lot. Just by the way that band of hooligans was staring at me, I could understand that maybe walking away would've been a better solution. Lily looked appalled while Petunia grabbed her hand and tried to lead her away. She caught my eye and I nodded towards her. It would be better if she left. A few of the boys began advancing towards me and I slowly backed up. One wrong move, and they would swallow me up like a pack of hungry wolves.

Lily and Petunia began to walk away. As soon as they did, the boys began to do the same, except they were walking towards me. I turned around and began running with all the strength I had. The gravel crunched beneath my feet, and the sky, with its orange and red hues, looked mesmerizing. I might have actually been able to enjoy it if it wasn't for the situation I'd gotten stuck in. I could hear them getting closer, so I took a sharp turn and landed in a dark, damp alley, one that led to the more industrial sector of the town. I pulled a garbage can in front of me, hoping it would slow the boys down, before hurrying down the narrow path. I heard the clangs and screeches as the can was pushed aside by the horde of monsters behind me, and I knew I had to do something, or I'd end up getting whipped by that lot.

I didn't have to worry long enough. One of them grabbed me by my collar and harshly pulled me back, so hard that the breath was knocked out of my body. Bloody hell. I grimaced as the same boy turned me around, and was met with a heavy punch that made me stagger and fall down. I felt like a fool. Why had I gone barging in like that?

"Who's the idiot now?" one of them asked, kicking me in the stomach, and I toppled over, groaning. I hated them. These Muggles. I hated them so much.

And with that happy thought, I shut my eyes as the beating began and my stifled cries of pain echoed through the endless expanse, with nobody to hear them or respond.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I was laying there, like a wounded animal, as stars began to sparkle in the sky and night took over. I had only tried to help. Was that wrong? In the stories I'd read, the people helping others always got appreciated, or repaid for their good deed. Where was my payment? Who was here to appreciate me?

Nothing. No one.

Why couldn't life be like those stories I'd read? Where everyone would end up with a 'Happily Ever After'? Why did my story have to be tragic? I didn't understand the wrong I'd done. Every time I'd tried being a better human, it always ended up with something bad. That wasn't how it happened in the fairytales.

I got up, caressing my bruised cheek. I gazed out of my swollen eye, which was slightly purple and looked mean under the dark night sky. My arms and legs were like noodles, and I felt like they would disintegrate into nothingness if I put too much pressure on them. Nevertheless, I got up, and with a lot of effort, finally reached home, where Tobias had gone out, and only my mother was home.

When she looked at me, I saw her guarded expression fall for once, and pure, unadulterated concern took over. It made me feel warm and happy. But then the cold barrier was back up once more, and she told me to go make myself presentable or something.

After cleaning up the best I could, I sat down on my bed, huddled underneath the warm, cozy blanket, droplets falling on my nose from my still wet hair. My hair fell around my face, and the little specks of water cascaded down my cheeks, leaving their lingering touch behind. I grumbled as I let the safety of my room calm me down. I was alright. And so was Lily. It was fine. We were okay.

Perhaps whatever happened wasn't that bad enough.

I didn't realise how bipolar I was being. I had been hurt so bad, and yet, here I was, trying to console myself and pretending that everything was fine when it was not. I thought back to that look of pity Mr. Ryan had given me, and I felt a tiny morsel of resentment. I didn't want people to pity me, when they couldn't do anything to make me better either. Their sorrowful looks and sympathising sentiments were not going to help me, were they? My irritation only grew. Who did these people think they were?

Nobody had ever been able to understand my plights and problems. All they could do was tell me it would be okay when in reality, it was never like that. The problems only grew until they became unbearable, and the shoulders that had been holding those burdens for so long finally gave up and cracked.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Oh-oh my God, Severus, what happened to you?" Lily shrieked as she saw my injuries and rushed over. Taking my face between her hands, I saw her lips quivering and knew she would start crying. Like every time I was near her, I began blushing and mentally facepalmed myself.

"I'm sorry you got hit because of me." she said, and I shook my head.

"It's not a problem." That's the least I could do for you.

"But what will you tell your mother?"

"Nothing." She won't care enough to ask.

"I never meant for this to happen. I shouldn't have even gone there."

"Don't worry yourself." That's my job.

"I-I-thank you." she said, hugging me tightly and I smiled discreetly, letting myself revel in her sweet scent and her warm embrace. Yes, my story might be tragic.

But at least she'll be a part of it in some way.

At least she'll make things a bit better.

Like she always does.

"Let's get your wounds cleaned up." she muttered.

"Alright." Thank you, Lily. For being here. With me. When no one else is.