𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒: 𝐀 𝐒𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐀 𝐋𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫

                               ❝𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘯
                                      𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴.❞

Time Skip: 2 Years Later

THE SUN PEEKED THROUGH the translucent curtains, the rays of light falling on my face and disturbing my sleep. I groaned and turned around, but the deed was done and I couldn't fall asleep anymore. I threw away my sheets and got up, looking at the half-broken alarm clock on the table. It was barely six in the morning, and no one was awake. I couldn't even stop by at Lily's. I quickly brushed my teeth and put on some new clothes (which were really just Tobias's old ones) and quietly crept downstairs, making sure I made no noise. I didn't want to disturb the monster sleeping in the bedroom peacefully after hitting me yesterday night. Sometimes, I'd imagine strangling him in his sleep, watching him turn blue as he ran out of air and stared at me with wide eyes before dropping dead.

But, like the best of things, they only ever remained fantasies. 

Me and Lily had grown pretty close over these two years. We would sneak to each other's houses, and have sleepovers, and sit by the oak tree. I'd told her everything I knew about magic at that point, and even lended her some of my books. We got along pretty well. That feeling that spread through my chest when I would be with her only grew. It was suffocating, bone-crushing, and yet at the same time relieved me of all my burdens. Of all my miseries. 

I didn't know why.

Frustrated at myself, I opened the door and stepped out of the house to be met by the chilling Cokeworth wind. I revelled in it and began taking a stroll down the street, letting the numb feeling spreading through my hand relax me. I let out a shuddering breath and watched my breath condense like fog. Shoving my hands into my pockets, I walked and walked, staring at the dull, brick houses and the barren, lifeless trees. The fog hung low, obscuring a lot of the path. The sky was full of purple and pink hues, with a tinge of golden between them, and the sun was peeking softly from behind cotton-like clouds. It was mesmerizing, really. One of the only comforts in a dull down like this. 

I turned to enter the small park where Lily and I played. It was one of the very few parks in Cokeworth, since the town was mostly industrial. I didn't wait and rushed to the swing, sitting on it and pushing it forward and backwards with my feet. My nose was red by this point, and my breath was shaky as I stared at the sky, my head growing a little dizzy. I didn't know how long I stayed there, but the next time I registered my surroundings, the faint buzz of traffic was clear. The sun was now high above, meaning it was afternoon.

Meaning I didn't check up on Mum.

I quickly got off and began to jog home, but when I reached it, I saw my mother, standing outside, with...a smile.