Chapter 16 - Action and Reaction

The two men sat calmly in the car, their eyes fastened on the restaurant and the surrounding street. A number of times, men came and went, all professionally scanning the area each time. Hardy Menken's crew looked concerned

"You think they're onto us?"

"Not a chance," Raphael answered laconically. "But they were warned that we were coming - DeTega never should have let on."

"The old man is past his shelf date, and I think he's scared of my mother." Jesús added.

"She is ruthless, but she is still a woman."

"Meaning?"

"What do you think I mean- wait, look!" Raphael pointed to a car stopping in front of the restaurant.

The driver emerged, checked the street, then opened the rear door and pulled another man out who was gagged and restrained by a rope around his arms.

"Do you recognize either of them?"

"The passenger is Donnie Beluga." Jesús said.

"Beluga? The whale?"

"That's what they call him."

"I wonder why he's tied up, and who that other guy is."

"Definitely puzzling." Jesús nodded.

Raphael gave him a side eye. "Puzzling. Call Don Parco and tell her what you found puzzling."

******

"You got balls comin' in here like this." Hardy wiped the rib sauce from his chin and sat back from the table.

"If that was a threat, it was a mistake, I'll take it as a compliment." Undergrove watched the men around Hardy all tense. "Your boy here was a potential contract, but I knew the client couldn't pay, so I'm here for a reward instead. I know this is your top soldier."

Hardy looked around, his face showing incredulity. "Are you hearing this guy? A reward? I'll give ya a reward alright. I'll let you choose how you want me to put your lights out."

Donnie's eyes went wide, and he began shaking his head and mumbling through the gag.

"Your boy here doesn't like that idea much, I think." Undergrove moved casually around behind Donnie.

"He doesn't make the decisions around here, I do." Hardy raised a hand and two of his men stepped forward.

Undergrove removed the gag from a frantic Donnie, who started babbling immediately.

"He's trying to tell you that there is a squib fastened to his chest," Undergrove said, "loaded with some nasty liquid. I just press my phone button and most of you will be hit, and since you are the closest, Hardy, you'll get hit the most."

Donnie nodded emphatically.

Hesitation seized everyone except Undergrove, he pushed Donnie a little closer to the group. "I think about fifty-thousand cash should cover everything."

"Dream on" Hardy said, with less conviction.

"Ah, well, I guess I can find it here myself afterwards." Undergrove sighed heavily.

"No! NO!" Donnie pleaded. "Pay him, Hardy, please!"

"Maybe we should reconsider, boss," one of the men said.

Undergrove took out his phone and stepped back from Donnie. "Decision time, Hardy."

"Alright, alright." He handed one of his men a key. "Bring me the box." Hardy glowered at Donnie. "This is comin' out of you, Beluga."

The box arrived and Hardy fussily counted out the money.

"Hand it to Donnie, and Donnie you hand it back to me without turning around."

The transferred was made. Undergrove quickly flipped through the bills, satisfied his count was close enough, and he backed further away.

"Nobody moves until I'm out the door." He backed his way out of the restaurant, then at the door, he pushed the phone button.

The screams were horrific, and he laughed aloud, slamming the door and jumping into his car. Inside, a furious Hardy slammed a plate of back ribs over Donnie's head, his fingers slipping in the ketchup that was sprayed from the exploding squib.

"GET HIM! Find that bastard and drag him back here." Hardy waved angrily at his condiment covered soldiers.

******

Outside, the two men watched as the man who had driven the car, hurried outside, laughing, leaped in and burned rubber all the way down the street. A moment later several more burst out of the restaurant, waving and hurrying to cars.

"Look! They're covered in blood! I never heard any shooting." Jesús sat forward, staring out the windshield.

"They can't be shot, look at them all move. The blood is all over- "Raphael halted and then started to laugh.

"What? What's funny?"

"The man he took in with him was tied up and gagged, remember?"

"So?"

"So, his captor must have threatened those other guys, then he exploded a squib full of paint or something. That's why he was laughing."

Jesús watched the convoy of cars scream erratically away. "That must have been one ballsy move. What do you think he got?"

"A lot of trouble by the look of it. I say we take the opportunity to see inside."

******

Owen ran around dizzily, fetching fresh clothes, ordering staff to clean up the mess, jumping nervously at every barked order Hardy yelled. When the two men appeared in the foyer, he clutched his head and scurried to intercept them.

"I'm sorry, the restaurant is closed to the public. We have a private party--"

"Good, we like it that way." Jesús shoved Owen aside and followed Raphael into the main room.

"Who the hell are you? Owen! What the hell's going on here?" Hardy slipped his suspender over his thick, sloping shoulders and adjusted his trousers.

"They just pushed their way--"

"Well push them the hell out!" Hardy did up his shirt cuffs and faced the intruders.

Jesús drew a large gun and pointed it at Owen. "Yeah, Owen, you do that."

There were only two other men with Hardy, and one was covered in rib sauce, the staff had magically vanished at the first sound of trouble. Both of them had their hands full of soiled clothing.

"Just stay where you are boys." Raphael produced his own cannon from under his jacket.

"Let me guess, Ortega and Amano." Hardy sat back down at the freshly cleaned table. "How's uncle DeTega - Jesús, is it?"

"He's fi--"

"Shut up. We aren't here to discuss family." Raphael snarled.

"What are you here for, Raf-eye-el?" Hardy sneered back.

"I think you know." The gun swung slowly around toward Hardy.