Undercover - Sort Of

The room went quiet and several sets of eyes followed the woman to the bar. Audrey forced a composed face, gave the room a quick scan and then settled a smile on the bartender, who was appraising this rare customer.

"Pretty ladies don't usually come here to drink." He leaned low on the bar and grinned lasciviously.

Audrey cringed inside. "Well, I won't break the pattern then. I'm here for some information."

He stood back up, arms folded.

Not good, she thought. He's closing up already. "Maybe a soda and lime. Information shouldn't be free - right?" She lifted onto a stool and delivered an atomic smile.

He moved slowly and with leisure, fashioned her a soda and lime with a twist, sliding it to a perfect halt in front of her.

"What information?"

"I'm trying to locate a Max Shine, I understand he comes in here sometimes."

"Whatta you want him for?"

"That would be this lady's business." She sipped the drink and nodded appreciation. "So, does he?"

He leaned back, studying her, arms crossed again. "You a cop?"

Audrey laughed, and the room grew silent again as the denizens at the few tables all focused on the couple.

"No, I'm not a cop. I just want to find Mr. Shine for personal reasons."

He nodded slowly and a smirk formed on his lips. "Personal reasons, eh. Well, personal would be his room at the Biltmore, I guess." The smirk grew.

"I see I should have said business." Her smile froze over.

"Personal business with Max Shine, fellas." He called out to the room, and there was a rumble of murmurs and cat-calls that had Audrey blushing. "He also does business at his office on Madison, sweetheart." The smirk became a rude chuckle.

"Do you have an address?" She persisted through gritted teeth.

"1350. It's called, Latex and Silicon Dreams." Laughter broke out around the room, and Audrey gave a nod, slid off the stool and left the bar with as much dignity as she could muster.

"This had better be worthwhile, Wendy," she paused and dared him to correct her. "That was a humiliating experience."

"Did he do something? Did something happen?" Jerome started for the door.

"No, it was just- I was the only woman in there and it was uncomfortable. Anyway, I got your address." She told them the name and number. "And he lives at the Biltmore."

"Son-of-a-gun! Same as Benny the--"

"The man we went to see earlier." Wendell blurted out, a pained expression as he looked at Audrey. He turned and shot daggers at Jerome. "Listen, Aud, that was great. Thanks so much. We'll take it from here."

"Like I wanted more of any part of this investigation." She shook her head, took the car, and left them standing on the sidewalk.

"What the hell, she took the car."

"I noticed. Guess it's shank's mare for us, partner."

******

Latex and Silicon Dreams was a two-storey storefront operation with blackened windows, and a French door entrance with frosted glass panels.

"Secrecy with class."

Jerome snorted, and pressed the large buzzer, and a moment later a tinny voice that barked, 'What?' came from a hidden speaker.

"Mr. Shine? Dankworth and Weeble, private investigators. Wonder if we could have a word."

Max leaned forward and looked at the image from his camera and swore under his breath. How the hell did they find him?

"A word about what?"

"Could we come in and talk about that?" Wendell said, pleasantly.

Maybe they didn't know. Might be a good idea to find out just what they do know. Max pushed the door lock. "Upstairs."

The pair climbed to the second floor and walked into the large workroom, stopping and gawking with awe at the contents. Along one wall hung dozens of masks, some depicting well known celebrities. A couple of large machines stood side by side at the back, one appeared to be an oven. Another desk held a number of pieces of electronic equipment, including a large 3D printer, and next to that, containers of liquids and chemicals.

Jerome rubbed his bald head and stood with hands on hips. "Wow! Is this all Halloween stuff?"

"Mr. Shine," Wendell overrode his partner's exclamation. "Wendell Dankworth, and uh, uh- I think you left a message on our phone the other day. A rather cryptic message, actually."

"Don't know what you're talking about." Max stood at parade rest, arms folded in front.

"Back off, I believe were the words you used."

"Not a clue about what you're talking about - don't touch that!" Max moved quickly toward Jerome, who was pulling a mask of Elvis over his head. He snatched it off, reshaped it with his fingers and hung it back on the wall.

"I think you do, Mr. Shine. How do you suppose we tracked you here?" Wendell scanned the workbench while Shine dealt with Jerome.

"By accident. Now, if that's it, I don't think we have any more business, so you and Eddie Murphy here just take off."

"Who?" Jerome bristled. "Who you--?"

The large handgun appeared from nowhere, and the company of Dankworth and Weeble made fast tracks down the stairs, and out to the street.

Wendell massaged his chin and looked back up at the second floor. "I think we struck a nerve, partner."

"He sure as hell struck one with me." Jerome complained. "Eddie Murphy - Jesus."

"I'm pretty sure it was just Eddie Murphy." Wendell grinned, ducking quickly from a punch on the arm. "We need to dive deeper on Mr. Shine, partner. I think that little visit revealed a connection between him and the case my dad was on."

"Don't see what it could be. The guy makes Halloween masks. That Elvis one I tried on though - that felt really real."

"I don't see you in blue suede shoes."

"Hilarious. Let's go and get some lunch, I only had soup last night."

"I want to go to the office and check something in my dad's files."

"There's nothin' to eat there."

"Pick something up, or have it delivered."

"That's just more money. We have food at home. You shopped, remember?"

Wendell hailed a cab and got in. "I'm going to the office."

"Fine. Fine. The office. Hey, wait a minute." Jerome jumped in as the cab pulled away. "The hell was that, man?"

"Time is money, Bro."

"That's why you have a meter running - Bro. So your passengers don't have to."