Chapter 21

Moscow

Torrents of rain blew sideways against the palace windows, making for a dreary day. Gaspard's eyes warmed as he locked fingers with the vampire in his arms, the scent of her rendering him docile. They laid there in companionable silence, silently tracing patterns on each other's skin. To her surprise, Nathalie found herself breathing out of habit, her body mimicking his movements. Unusually shy, she turned away from his charming stare, fighting a losing battle with the grin that commandeered her face. Despite the raging war outside those doors, peace reigned within the room. Peace and...

"Tell me about the Pyramids," Gaspard murmured against her shoulder. "You owe me a story, after all."

Nathalie groaned, reaching back to play with his curls. "No..." she said hoarsely, her voice weak from screaming. "I don't wanna bore you with a history lesson."

"So enchant me with a fairy tale," he rumbled in her ear before biting it. "Please?" He pulled her face back to his.

Any fight she had left died in his eyes, his stare paralyzing her. Letting out a whine of defeat she gave in. She told him the story of the ancient pharaoh Khufu, who became obsessed with his rule being remembered after his death. He'd failed as a warrior, a diplomat, even as a husband. If he couldn't be remembered by his deeds, Khufu decided to be remembered in stone instead.

"They're older than me, if you can believe it; they'd been around for a thousand years by the time I came along." Nathalie finished.

His lips kissed over the beauty marks on her neck, drawing constellations on her skin. "Age doesn't distract from the beauty of it," Gaspard murmured, darting his tongue out to lick where her neck and shoulder met. "Just think of what it does for wine..."

Nathalie blinked; she couldn't tell if he was talking about the pyramids or her. Their difference in age wasn't lost on her, but when one had centuries under their belt did it really matter? She couldn't help but relax into the warmth of his body; he eliminated the need for a heater.

"They were really expensive..."

"Most good things are," he replied. His arms held her back against him, letting her feel exactly how much he enjoyed her storytelling. Distracting her with kisses, the hand resting on her hip slid down her front and touched her there, and he bit out a harsh groan to find her still wet.

She gasped and jerked, but his arm had her anchored against him as his hand gently rubbed in circles. "Gas...Gaspard..." she moaned into the pillows.

"Keep talking; I'm listening..."

Unsure if she'd be able to handle another session like last night Nathalie put a hand on his forearm to stop him, her body extremely sensitive to his touch. He was incorrigible-how did he expect her to think about pyramids like this? Think at all?

"You've gone quiet on me, chérie. I can't have that." His thumb brushed over her delicate bud making her whimper and shake. "Keep talking..." he whispered, sucking at her sweet skin.

She couldn't think straight. "T-they're...b-big..."

"Big, you say?" Gaspard repeated. "Comme ça?" His hand grabbed the back of her thigh, biting his lip as her body welcomed him. He couldn't help it; now that he'd finally indulged in his darkest desire, there was nothing to stop him from doing so again. And again. And again...at least until he had to give her back to...him. No-he wouldn't let the outside ruin what they had right now.

Her eyes rolled in the back of her head, her brain short circuiting at the feeling of being filled by him.

"One night...you said..." she hissed. Despite her words, her hips rocked back to meet his, joining his slow pace.