tredici // chapter thirteen

Start from the beginning

"Even more than Teruhashi!?"

Saiki's thumb haltered for a moment, slowly falling over to point down. As it went down, Imu's mood went with it; Saiki shot his thumb back upwards.

Asher couldn't hear her mental dialogue, but he could read it all over her face. The sparkles that flew around her as she felt as if she finally felt she beat Teruhashi, the manga panels that scrolled by as she gave her inner monologue. The way her face slowly turned to disbelief as she went red looking at Saiki.

'Un-fucking-believable.'

"Then Saiki.. do you think... maybe we could..." she struggled to get her words out, hands bunched together in front of her as she looked anywhere but the boy. She then turned suddenly, making a run for it. "Nevermind, sorry to bother you!!!"

Saiki looked shocked as she ran off. That might've been the most expressive he's ever been. He pulled his head away from the corner, resting his back against the wall. He wasn't too sure why he stayed for so long. Jealousy had quickly filled his body and uncomfortably clawed at his throat. He knew Saiki was popular, but watching it before his two eyes was a bit much. A frown had found his face before he knew it.

Before he could make his grand escape, a voice called out to him.

"I told you to stay."

Asher's eyebrows almost became a unibrow with how close he pushed them together. ".. I was curious."

"Haven't you heard 'curiosity killed the cat'?"

"Well, satisfaction brought it back, so fuck you," his tone rose quickly, becoming angrier than he would've liked. His eyes were directed to their shoes.

"Well? Are you?"

"Huh?"

"Are you satisfied?"

Usually Asher preferred Saiki's impudent tone and questions, but this had been way different. It felt less like he was being teased or more like made fun of. He was more sensitive than people may realize.

"What the hell, Saiki. Don't ask me dumbass questions, you know how I feel—"

Saiki leaned his head to the side, his eyes slightly squinted together. "Do I, though?"

As much as Asher said he loved Saiki's sassiness, now was not the time..! He squinted his eyes back at Saiki, frown never wavering. "The least you could do is respect my fuckin' feelings. I mean, of course I don't like that you're.. like... like, you're flirting with girls 'n stuff—!"

"Why does it matter?" Saiki shrugged his shoulders. "It's not like we're dating in the first place."

What an asshole. For the first time he's known Saiki, a distaste spread through his mouth and down his chest. "Yeah, go fuck yourself." He stuffed his sweaty palms into the pockets of his pants, walking off to cool his head.

Maybe Saiki should have been a bit more considerate.

• ——— •

Luckily enough for Asher, the week came and went and it was not their weekend. The awkward vibe between Saiki and Asher disturbed everyone around them, and he needed some time to think and hopefully get over whatever he was going through. Aren and Kaidou had made some time to come over to the brunette's house while his mother was away.

They were mostly there for the free food and games. But! They were also there to console their friend with... whatever was happening with him. Not many details were spared, but they could tell it had something to do with Saiki, which must've been a big deal. Plus, nobody liked a cranky Asher, so they wanted to do what they could to wash the nasty feelings away.