The One Where We Meet The Family

The moment we walked through the grand wooden doors, all talk and chatter ceased

   A man with enough gel pushing back his hair it nearly shined in the light strolled over to us, back bent from age.

  "Lith!" He exclaimed, "ah, come give your old man a hug." He opened his arms to her and she fell into them like it was the only thing that could hold her together.

  The embrace made me envious; fortunate are those that feel safe in their parents arms. Pity for those who don't.

  He looked over her shoulder, his eyes widening at the sight of me. He spoke rapidly in a language I couldn't understand, pushing her to the side and reaching for me.

   His big, ringed fingers fell on my shoulder; the weight of it nearly knocking me to the side.

"Hello," he smiled, a kind smile that crinkled at the corners of his eyes. I see now where Lith gets it. "I'm Edgar. My girl has never brought you around before." His brow rose with a question.

   I went to answer, but my throat closed up. I swallowed a few times, trying to get my voice to function. My gaze locked with Lith's in a panic.

  She put her arm around me; effectively knocking her father's hand off my shoulder in a way that didn't make it seem so odvious. Playing it off as a gesture of affection.

  "This is Crow," her head fell forward and she landed a kiss on the crown of my head, "he's my son."

   The ladies around the room- there could have been about nine of equal age- gasped. The sound echoing through the grand hall.

  I took the time to look at the room we'd landed in. The high ceilings and glossy floors. Its stair case of fine marble.

  I was impressed and a little scared. What exactly was this place?What did she mean by the fact that my father saved her from it?

   What could be hiding behind these gilded walls?

   My eyes narrowed at the man before me. The question churning in my head so fast and hard that I didn't comprehend the answer Lith had given.

   Her son? Surly not, I barely knew her.

   I raised a brow at her and she smirked in return, pinching my cheek and sending a wink my way.

   "Edgar," Christophen yelled from the porch.

   I winced at the noise. Staring back at him with a bit of wonder and a little horror. His confidence angered me. I envied the way he sauntered into the room with an air of arrogance and grace.

The good natured way he placed a hand on Edgar's shoulder; patting it in a gesture of commodity, "the fifth is here."

   The man's eyes twinkled in delight, a smile rising on his lips, "ladies! Daughters! Sons!" He exclaimed, effectively ceasing all chatter around the room.

   "She's here!" Christophen finished, an air of excitement rising.