The One Where He Won't Talk

(Atticus POV)

"Mr. and Mrs. Calloway?" Evan and Lith snapped their heads away from their devices, towards an approaching nurse. The apprehension in her tone made my stomach turn.

It was just four of us in the waiting room; Crow's dad, Lith, Juliet, and I; Samantha and Franco made some excuse to leave- probably a ruse to dull their senses. And I'd managed to chase Cairo away.

I knew Lucariah wouldn't want to see him if he didn't have Isobella anyway. So it didn't matter if he were here or not, in my opinion.

Ezekiel, Jericho, and Christophen ended up going home last week. They had too much going on to sit in a waiting room for a little brother they didn't even care for. But Christophen made Evan promise to keep him posted.

So at least one of them cared.

Juliet and I decided not to tell Evan or Lith that Luca was awake... or the things they had to do to get him there. But I could tell they knew something was wrong, considering the way we practically flew to our seats and have been sitting in silence since.

"What's the matter?" Evan cast his laptop to the side and stood. His bottom lip caught between his teeth.

"Lucariah is awake," Lith and Evan shared a gasp. "Everything looks as good as it can given the circumstances, but...he won't talk."

My stomach, my heart, my lungs, my everything fell flat. Luca won't talk? Won't or can't?

I didn't realize I asked the question out loud until the nurse gave me a grim smile, "I guess only time will tell. But, he's a fighter. And he's strong."

I tried to picture Crow, my best friend since the beginning of time, suddenly robbed of his only defense. His voice. The malice on his tongue that gave him that intimidating edge his soft looks lacked.

He'd look like a child. Lucariah hated being seen as someone so young and defenseless. I felt a knot form in my throat, picturing the sadness looming in our near futures.

"But...he talked to me," Juliet mumbled, her eyebrows scrunched. That's right, I remember, he woke; raspier then ever, and coughing up a storm; speaking to his stepsister. Reassuring her that he was okay. He didn't even bother acknowledging me.

The nurse nodded once, "that's right, darling. He spoke-until his brain caught up with the rest of him." She ran a hand through her hair, smoothing out the stray ends, "his mind is clouded in trauma. His records state he should be seeing a therapist- physical and mental- but there were no follow ups. So-"

"Physical?" Evan asked, turning to me with a raised brow. "Why would he...?"

"He's classified as crippled," Juliet stated, tapping her feet rhythmically. As if it were normal to inform a father on his son's condition.

Evan's eyes widened. "When..? How?"

"If you cared enough, you would have known," I gritted out, nodding at the nurse for her to continue.

"I'm sorry," her eyes narrowed at Juliet and I, "you two are?"

"Irrelevant," Juliet stated, mimicking my nod for her to continue. When the nurse didn't, she got up; cheeks flushed, "just give us the details on my brother's condition! Stop trying to figure out a broken puzzle- that's none of your business by the way- and do your job!"

"I like this girl," Lith chuckled, sending a tentative smile towards Luca's stepsister. One she didn't bother returning.

Juliet wasn't mean; but she sure was a tough nut to crack. It was a wonder that she and Crow got along so well. I guess they both longed to have someone in their corners that they didn't care they needed to knock down a few walls to get there. But that was where they drew the line; neither was seeking the company of anyone besides each other.

I won't lie, it stung a bit when the two of them started getting along so well. My best bud, my for lifer, stopped hanging out with me over the weekends; sorry, but Juliet is home, he'd tell me before sending me off. And the rare times we actually got to hang out he'd tell me everything his new sister did.

I felt replaced; I was coated green in envy for a little girl that only really had her mom on her side. It hurt because I knew how much she meant to him and I couldn't help but think; if I needed Luca at this very moment, would he drop everything and run to my rescue; and the sad thing is- I never had a clear answer.

"Like I said, he's awake," she sent Juliet a leveled look, "which you were there for, hunny."

I fixed her a glare and it took me a second to realize that Evan was doing the same. Interesting.

"He can accept visitors."

Evan took a step towards the nurse, fixing the cuffs on his button down, "next time you talk to any of these children that are here for my son," he let that hang in the air, jaw clenched, "you better watch your tone, or else."

Juliet turned towards me, rolling her eyes, "or else," she mouthed making me snort out a laugh.

   "Come on children," Evan motioned for us to follow; fixing Juliet a look that said I saw that but I'll pretend I didn't.

    Luca had his eyes closed when walked into the room; they were rimmed red and shadowed; and he was breathing way too fast.

   The nurse placed a hand on his arm. An arm wrapped in a dark blue cast. "Lucariah, your family is here to see you," she whispered gently.

   He took his time opening those darker than night eyes, they had a shine to them that didn't look natural and my stomach flipped when he stared off at nothing. It was as though he were seeing a whole other realm and we weren't even there.

   "He's been given some pain relief," the nurse admitted, helping him sit up. I winced when he pushed his hair back, revealing the stitches on his brow.

   "Luca," Evan whispered.

   His eyes cleared as they snapped towards his father, and his eyebrows scrunched- in anger? In confusion? I couldn't tell.

Evan ignored the look, taking a step towards his cot. "Lucariah, look at how much you've grown."

He flinched back, his expression pinched. He rubbed his chest and I couldn't help my thoughts from floating back to the moment before he woke.

The sound of the machine flatlining, how the doctors pounded on his chest, shocked him until he returned to life.

I didn't realize a tear fell from my eye until it dripped off my chin. It was so close- I almost lost him- forever. He almost went to a place I couldn't follow.

Leaving me here to dwell on all the memories we made and to mourn the memories we could have made.

He better hold true to the promise he made Juliet, because I, too, still need him. I think I'll always need him.

He can't live forever, a small voice in my head reminded me. So I better be prepared to die before his forever comes to an end.