[11] ran haitani

art: __SABI__ on X (Twitter)

;;;;

He stood there, his eyes staring blankly. Impassive towards the squirming man, fingertips just inches away from pulling the trigger and causing a hole in his skull.

"Ran…" Mikasa started, his hands high up in the air. His eyes fully shows how petrified he was. "Let's try and be reasonable, please…"

"Who is to say you aren't planning something?" Ran voiced out, teasingly inching his index closer to the trigger. "And why should I even?"

He watched the unruly looking man bob his Adam's apple in fear. Ran knew that from the first time he's seen Mikasa once again, that life hasn't been kind to him.

He wanted to know more why he was just suddenly at his front door when he clearly stated he would kill him in an instant if he shows himself.

But Ran knew not to lower his guard again around him. Whether he's struck the bottom line or not, he's learned his lesson.

•••

"Ran-san," Mikasa gave a glass towards Ran, hoping to give him a toast.

It was Akari's birthday around this time, and Ran didn't recognize any of the people his wife had invited, aside from her lover.

He stared at the dark haired man, seeing him squirm under his gaze before cautiously taking the glass from his hand.

Has he not have taken that glass, he would not have almost lost his daughter later that night.

•••

"Please, it's important…" Mikasa was looking around the hallway, as if he was trying to get away from something.

Or someone.

"To what extent?" He didn't relent, his hand getting tighter around the grip of the gun.

"To the extent that you want to keep an eye on your daughter and soon wife…"

Ran squinted his eyes, his eyebrows crossing as he pushed the gun closer. What is he implying? Reina and Y/n, keep an eye on? Aside from those people from a week ago, there isn't anyone else whom he should take into account.

Mikasa took his silence as a chance to continue.

"You've been attacked already, correct? By a black car, on a rainy day when you went to get your daughter and soon-to-be wife at restaurant?-"

"How do you know about that?" Ran gritted out, pushing the gun slightly away to glare at the terrified man.

"That accident…" Mikasa gulped, looking down to his feet, his tired looking eyes sinking and his body trembling when he felt a shiver run down his spine.

"I remember clearly that you shot her knees, broke her legs and then threw her overbroad the cruise ship on the last day of her birthday cruise…"

He could feel a large lump starting to form in his throat. His eyes squinting as he remembered the memory, the day where he ultimately snapped.

He can still the remember the vivid crunch of her bones cracking under the pressure of the bullet, how she was desperately trying to get away from him with the strength that she had despite not being able to properly walk.

He remembers how he twisted her ankles, bent her joints to the point it dislocated, then never an ounce of hesitation when he threw her off board, in the raging and dark ocean.

"Are you telling me, that she was the reason my daughter and wife almost experienced death?" He seemed calm and collected on the outside, but anyone can tell just from his tone of voice.

He wasn't.

He wasn't the least bit calm nor collected. He was boiling, livid.

"ACK-!"

"Don't play with me, Mikasa."

His hands wrapped tightly around Mikasa's throat, nails scratching his skin.

"We know damn well, she couldn't have been able to swam back to the surface with a shot knee, dislocated even, and a twisted ankle."

His eyes have gotten dark, his forehead creasing, teeth gritting. Veins were popping out of his forehead as he continued.

"She's dead."

"She's not-!"

"If losing a hand, fingers and an eye wasn't enough, I'll gladly oblige to drive a bullet in that thick skull of yours."

His eyes saw red, a paling face and an underlying fear.

Ran didn't wish, never wished, to believe that Akari is still living and breathing. He has gone through so much just to forget everything she's done to him and Reina.

He just wanted a peaceful and sweet family to go back home to whenever he's sad, frustrated, or just plain happy.

He never wanted anything of this sort to happen. The pain, the blood, the struggles, the trauma. None of it was part of his plan to build and nourish a family.

He just wanted to be happy with his daughter and her mother with no strings attached.

But how can the life of a criminal ever reach such a goal without pulling strings along the way?

"Ran…?"

He felt his skin freeze.

His grip loosening around the neck he was strangling, ignoring the coughing man on the floor.

His eyes met hers, seeing the tired and confused look plastered on her face.

"Who is that…? What's going on?"

"Ran… Akari is alive, someone rescued her and now she's after you and your family.…"