[6] ran haitani

art: Arari_xd on X (Twitter)

;;;;

<5:45 pm>

They were now heading back to Ran's place, the night sky paving way through the city.

It was a rather eventful visit to her parents. He learned a little bit more about her than what she told him yesterday. He could still see her flushed face as he continued to drive through the cityscape.

Diamond city lights shimmered among the appearing stars, the night life in Tokyo was starting to wake up from its sleep.

Ran's eyes were trained on the road in front of him, skillfully maneuvering through the busy streets filled with automobiles as a days work came to an end.

His eyes glanced to the woman beside him, seeing her admiring the beautiful street lights like a kid in a candy store. On the rear-view mirror, he can see his daughter peacefully sleeping with a blanket over her small body.

He couldn't help but allow the soft smile to graze his lips. These were times he'd wish to experience, times he'd wish to ingrain in his memory, times where he'd wish he had with her.

Akari. Reina's late mother, his ex-wife, and the person that caused him his suffering.

He couldn't have helped the way his knuckles turned white after relapsing unwanted memories.

"Ran, loosen up," He heard her voice, glancing to her direction and seeing her tilted brows looking at him. "Don't grip the steering wheel too hard, you'll hurt yourself,"

She was nothing compared to Akari. Even from when they were younger, until now. She's always been kind, caring, loving. She was real.

Everything Akari faked.

"Sorry, I'm just..."

Growing lumps formed on his throat, stopping the car at a red light. A sudden chill hanging over his spine, his body tensing up when he saw a car stop next to his.

"Hah..." He sighed out, relaxing his muscles when it was nothing but the familiar car of Kakucho. He lowered down the window, seeing as Kakucho also lowered his.

He hadn't noticed the stare Y/n was giving him. Her worry growing when she saw the car, thinking it might be another assault like the previous one but Ran seemed to know the driver.

"Ran, we need you at HQ immediately." Was all Kakucho said, seriousness in his voice before he drove off once the lights turned green.

Hearing what the raven haired man uttered, Ran immediately shifted to his work mode. Following after the sleek Lamborghini in haste.

"Who was that?" She asked, gripping softly on her seat belt as Ran drove past cars in order to catch up to his colleague.

"A colleague, I'm needed at work." He was brief, pressing down on the break pedal when they arrived at a skyscraper of a building.

He got out of the car, running to her side before opening the door. Unbuckling her seat belt as if she was a child before doing the same to Reina.

"Wait, Ran, what's the matter? Why are you being hasty?" She called out, running after him as he walked through the glass doors before guards suddenly blocked her path.

Ran immediately noticed, a flare arising in his eyes.

"You two, let my wife in unless you want a bullet in those thick skulls of yours." His voice was menacing, a glare in his eyes as the guards shriveled underneath his gaze.

"I'm sorry about his attitude..." He heard her apologize, grasping her wrist before speed walking towards the elevator and pressing a button.

"Ran that was rude,"

He ignored her statement, impatiently tapping his foot on the elevators carpeted floor, clicking his tongue at the slow pace.

"Damn it,"

At long last, a small ding sounded out. Ran pulled the three of them out of the lift, long strides going towards his office causing Y/n to stumble in each of her steps.

"Ran wait! You're too fast-!"

She accidentally fell to the floor. Wincing as she soothes the fleeting pain on her knees.

Ran in his sudden tense state became alarmed, hurriedly going to her side and slowly lifting her back on her feet. While also trying not to wake Reina.

"Sorry, it's just that everything regarding work has had everyone on edge for the past few days." He told her, an arm around her waist to aid her towards a door.

Opening the door, he went inside, his attention towards her figure rather than the seven lead figures of their organization.

"Here, stay here for the meantime-" He cut himself off, his lavender eyes connecting with pitch dead eyes, heavy eye bags underneath his eyes as he looked at Ran blankly.

"You're here, finally." He spoke out, white hair in his eyes before he fixed his position on Ran's office chair.

"Call someone to have the girls stay in a different room, no one aside from the eight of us can know." Were his orders, two pairs of security immediately appeared.

One attempted to reach for Reina, whom was peacefully sleeping in Ran's embrace, but before they could graze a finger, Ran slapped their hand away.

"No one touches my daughter," He handed the sleeping child to Y/n, "If I find that you touched either of them, it'll be your hands,"

He was harsh, tense, alarmed, almost on the verge of irrationality. The woman behind him noticed his changing behavior.

Calmly placing a soothing hand on his arm, she can visibly see Ran to start calming down. His breathing was starting to return back to normal.

"Don't worry too much, Ran." A silver haired man exclaimed, waving a hand as he continued typing on the computer that he had.

Snake eyes connected to their figures, a sly smirk on his lips, "You know we have tight security here. Nothing will get to them," It was his way of reassurance.

Ran just stayed silent, ignoring Kokonoi's words before turning to the woman and the child. Leaning down to land a soft yet lingering kiss on Reina's forehead.

She was also expecting him to give her one on her forehead, but when he lifted her chin, she couldn't have expected that.

"I'll be quick,"