Chapter Eleven: Time Between

En başından başla

One of the schematics showed a control box hidden in the wall somewhere. Roth began to look for it, as Daniel guided him. Smearing his hands along the right wall he felt a slight cavity in one spot. It formed a barely notable rectangle, hiding something on the other side. With a little push, the rectangle plate jumped away, revealing the control box itself. It was covered with nothing but rust. Upon opening it Roth saw a white crystal. Decrypting the schematic Daniel saw that it was called "The Source", but Roth still didn't know what to do with it, when suddenly the reality in the corridor shifted around. Waves and pulses coming from all sides. Roth momentarily turned to the other door. It was open. A girl was standing on the other side. A girl with a blonde strand of hair. Daniel looked into the corridor again looking at his sisters, now his age. He ran for it screaming - Maise! - Roth was confused and didn't move the slightest. It was the first time he saw the other side before his eyes. Behind Maisie stood the prophet, watching her like a father figure. Maisie was stressed, confused, and unstable. The sight of her brother frightened her. Took her consciousness away. With the help of the prophet, she closed the door before their eyes. Daniel bashed into the metal door. A hollow hook resounded inside the corridor. He started hitting the door with his fist. It was too much. The sorrow, disappointment, lack of strength. He was unable to do anything.

-You cannot listen to him! - Daniel shouted like she was still there, listening. - Don't do that! He will use you! Lead you to your death! - the scream made him calmer. Like something was really coming out of him. -Please... - he said with a soft voice, almost whispering. - Hear me.... - the corridor stayed silent. He focused for a second, looking for the train tracks inside of his mind. They were there, somewhere, but far away. He wasn't even on them. For a second Daniel thought it would be better if he never decided to leave them. Strands of fate pulling the strings, leading people in certain directions. He felt pretty much fed up with that.

-Hey. - said Roth. - We're going to find a way. - Daniel backed away from the wall, determined and ready. He went back to the basement and as he took a hammer into his hand he saw the prophet coming down the stairs.

-You think you can get away with this, you useless brat!? - Daniel backed out with the hammer in his hand.

-You broke so much already. You were supposed to stay in that fucking cage. Not even move. Not be the problem. I'm so disappointed.

-You don't seem disappointed. You're just mad that someone outplayed your stupid plan.

-Stupid plan? That is the only plan we have! The real world is a prison! Can't you see that? Only we could set it free again! Maisie saw that why didn't you?

-Weren't you supposed to guide her right now? I wonder what she is doing right now. Not following that plan of yours, I'm sure of that.

-I've made so many mistakes, created so many paradoxes. I won't let you and her be one of them.

Daniel took a hammer into his hand and went back to the corridor, but one of the guards stood in front of him.

-Get him. - the prophet ordered. His voice was dark and aggressive. He was done playing with them.

Roth standing near saw that Daniel wanted to do something. As the guards surrounded him, Roth ran into the guard standing on his way to the corridor. He pushed him, but the guard counterattacked instantly, slicing through Roth's shoulder.

-Go! - he screamed. His wound was deep, but the sacrifice was worth it.

His body felt light and agile, but his footsteps seemed heavy and brutal. He walked up to the control box and with all the force he had, he swung the hammer into the crystal.

-No! - The Prophet shouted. Daniel's hammer shook and cracked a little, the crystal did not, but something happened. In a short moment after the impact tears started breaking out the reality apart. Dark blue light consumed the surroundings as the cavities spread around as if they were hanging mid-air. Daniel could see different things through them. He saw the moment when the truck hit the tower. The train tracks - moving on them at high speed. His mom lies in a hospital bed as her pulse stops.

Suddenly the tears broke out, consuming everything that was in their place. Mountains, craters, and forests of the wasteland. Before they could even notice Daniel and Roth were drifting into a space they had never seen before. An endless black cosmos of pink, blue, and orange dancing with each other in the shape of things that resembled stars, galaxies, and planets. They were flying amid the feeling of pure tranquility. It felt as if someone wrapped a warm cozy blanket around them.

END OF CHAPTER