Chapter Ten: The Journal

En başından başla

Daniel noticed a blue bracelet made out of cloth hanging on Match's arm. He saw a fabric that flickered like that before. Prophet's scarf.

The arm that held Roth in the air didn't seem to be transparent, as if Match could make himself physical when he needed to. That's why he could hit him, and hold Roth. Daniel stood up taking Roth's gun and aiming at him. He tightened up his muscles as much as he could, pointing the barrel at the arm.

-That was my brother you killed, you bastard! - Match shouted at Roth. It was like he transferred all his hatred towards him. These were vicious and vile emotions. Raw and terrible to feel. Suddenly, Daniel took his shot. A bullet went ripping through his flesh just like he expected. Match let go of Roth. He could finally breathe. Match in shock looked at the bleeding arm. He could barely move it.

-You think you're smart, eh? - he shouted charging at Daniel. He swung his other arm. Tried to hit him. The adrenaline rush kept Daniel's mind sharp and steady. He was dodging his lousy punches while pushing slowly back out around the room. His plan had worked, but how could he make Match focus on a body part again? His punches were too quick for him to take advantage of. Match was still sane in his mind, to make a stupid mistake like that. As they almost moved to the end of the room, standing in the doorway of the console room, Roth spoke up from the back.

-Eh... What a bastard he was... - he kneeled over Scratches dead body and put his finger into his head. He wiggled around taking out the shell he shot earlier.

-Can't waste scrap like that, right? - he said, smiling as if he was stupid. Match looked at him deeply. Thinking, and thinking. Trying to think straight. The sheer disrespect. He lost a lot of blood from the arm wound. It was hard to stay sane. His muscles wiggled, pupils dilated. Something snapped in him.

-You Animal! - he shouted as if ripping his throat out. He ran towards Roth, like a mindless beast. That was Daniel's window. Match materialized his whole body to tackle Roth. He aimed straight and tied up his muscles again. He took three shots that pierced Match'es body, settling in his rivage, stomach, and spine. Match dropped dead to the ground, hitting the floor with his head, just beside his brother. The fight was over. Roth and Daniel were safe again.

The Journal was still lying on that table, covered in gentle splatters of blood. Daniel took it in his hand. They were almost set to leave, but Roth wanted to look at the console room. A few moments earlier Match flipped all the switches.

-What is this for? - Daniel explained to him what he understood about the ripples. As Roth was still looking at the console trying to make something out of it, Daniel started looking through the journal. "The Mission of ..." - Daniel wondered who the scratched-out name was. He was sure that it was the old man. Who was he that tried to hide his identity like that? The pages were an ideological ramble. He could make out some of the sense in it.

"Cleansing the world"

"Making them pay for what they did''

He didn't think about it too much at this point. He was looking for something concrete that could help him get out. He stumbled upon a few dozen pages of schematics and detailed instructions on how the corridor worked. It was vast and barely understandable, but it meant something. He knew they had exactly what they needed. Now they must go back to the corridor with it. Roth looked around the console, reading various signs and stickers, but the meaning of them was too scientific to comprehend.. He couldn't make anything out of it. They wanted to leave when suddenly they heard someone walk into the building. The same hard pounding against the ground as Match's. They turned around to the door to see the prophet's silhouette. He was blinking in and out. Fading through different states of being in this reality.

-Long time no see, traitor. - he spoke to Roth as if he had known him for a long time, The Prophet walked up to Roth and in an instant punched his stomach with the force of a mountain. Roth tumbled to the ground in pain. Daniel quickly ripped these pages out of the journal and hid them in his pocket, as The Prophet turned to him. He went for the journal and ripped it out of his hand.

-What have you read there? - his voice was much calmer. There was a sense of compassion in him, but it was crowded with many other things.

-Everything I needed. - said Daniel filled with nothing but fear and terror. He tried to appear confident as much as he could, but the old man didn't believe in that mask.

-.You destroyed enough of the timeline already. - his tone shifted to more aggressive. - I can't let anything happen to everything I've built. He took a metal pipe lying on the side into his hand, flipped all the switches on, and started bashing into the console breaking it, making his plan unable to be stopped.

-What are you doing?! - Daniel shouted.

-Freeing our world from suffering and pain that it had to endure for ages. The wasteland will consume the Earth and make it a canvas ready to paint on, but without the filthy meaningless humans that occupy it. - Daniel didn't understand the meaning of that, but some of the words he noticed in his journal made sense now. The Prophet was serious about what he was doing.

-I was really hoping that when I meet you, you'd have grown to be just like me. - the prophet continued. - You didn't even grow to be yourself. - he sighed - You've grown to be a fool, and that is what disgusts me the most.

-Who are you to say that? You've done nothing better than destroy my whole life! - Daniel screamed. He wanted to hit him, but he knew efforts like that would backfire.

-You're just one of the many mistakes I've made. - the Prophet started blinking through this reality one last time, as he disappeared from in front of his eyes. At the same time, the console has already activated all the ripples. The pulses were coming from everywhere, the reality was starting to shift around. Things weren't disappearing yet, so Daniel knew they had to run.

-Roth we need to go! - he said, trying to help him stand up. They left the house running through the alleyway up until the main gate where the rubbles of the fallen tower lay scattered on the ground. The remaining soldiers were standing around the main square. They were not interested in seizing them again. They were celebrating the changes and shifts that happened around them. The day they were looking for has finally come. Maise was there looking at them from a distance as they disappeared into the far wasteland heading towards the corridor.

END OF CHAPTER