1|| Whispers in the Wind

Author's Pov

"We have checked everything Kai," Elijah said, his voice gruff with frustration. "There is nothing here, not a single evidence of what could have happened, no tracks, no footprints, no signs of struggle, nothing."

Kai nodded, the heavy silence of the forest pressing down on him. Something wasn't right. He crouched beside the lifeless body again, his gaze lingering on the young warrior's horrified face. It looked as if someone had chocked him, but there were no visible wounds, to prove it. It was as if the life force had been simply sucked out, leaving behind a hollow shell.

"This wasn't a werewolf attack," He muttered, more to himself than to Elijah. "There are no bite marks, no signs of clawing."

Elijah knelt beside me, his brows furrowed in confusion and concern. "Then what was it? A rouge vampire? But then wouldn't there be drainage marks?"

Kai shook his head, a growl rumbling deep within my chest. He ran a hand over the warrior's face, the cold lifeless flesh sent a shiver down my spine. Closing the young man's eyes a wave of sadness and despair washing over him. This wasn't just a loss of a warrior, it was a violation, a challenge to the pack.

Kai rose my gaze sweeping over the surrounding. The rising sun cast a stream of light through the canopy, illuminating the forest floor. There were no evidence, it was as though the attacker had materialized from thin air, hunted its victim, and vanished into the same air without a trace. Panic and a primal instinct to guard his territory and pack, began to rise within him. The event that occurred at this place wasn't natural.

He couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed him. Back at the pack den, the news would spread like wildfire, creating an unsettling chaos among them. Fear would creep into their hearts, eroding the sense of calmness and security that always surrounded the pack.

Kai shouted a sharp command, his voice echoing through the silent forest. "Elijah, gather the patrol warriors. I want to discuss something important with them."

He stood silently watching as all the warriors started assembling into the clearing where currently we were. All of their faces were grim, filled with tension and lingering fear.