A Date? Part 2

As Frank and Maggie walked through Central Park, he kept holding her hand and Maggie felt her stomach twisting in knots in the best way possible. Although on the surface, she was calm, cool, and collected. "So do you have work tonight then?" Frank asked her as they strolled together.

Maggie nodded with a hum. "For the foreseeable future, I will be working Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. Although I'll get off at 11 on Sunday so I won't be brain dead in the morning for my shift at the hospital." She explained as he whistled with a shake of his head.

"Don't you think you might be pushin' yourself a little thin doing that?" He asked as Maggie shrugged nonchalantly.

"I can handle it. I've always worked best with a lot on my plate, this is no different." She dismissed his worries because even if it was too much for her to handle, Maggie had already committed to it and was not someone to quit once she had started. Pulling her phone out of her pocket, she checked the time.

"Have to go and make sure George is okay?" Frank asked her knowingly as Maggie smiled at him sheepishly.

"Yeah, I do. I hope you understand, I-I'm not trying to cut our da— hang out short." Maggie corrected herself to not seem like a fool, feeling heat rise in her cheeks.

"Don't worry 'bout it." Frank reassured her as he gave a half smile, turning to look at her. "You never have to explain yourself, George is your Grandpa and I admire that you took up the job of taking care of him. Lots of people wouldn't do that."

"When you love someone, you'd do anything." Maggie responded as suddenly, Frank's face became cold before her eyes and he cleared his throat before letting go of her hand.

"I uh, gotta go. Got some business to take care of but I put it at the back burner. Can't wait any longer." He spoke swiftly and it was as if Maggie saw him change right before her eyes from a sweet, thoughtful man to a cold, and angry.. stranger. Which is what he was to her still, a stranger. Maggie internally chastised herself.

You don't know this guy, you met him a grand total of 3 days ago. His normal might be this. Maggie's face became blank, trying not to show that she was upset about the fact that he had stopped holding her hand, or that he had completely switched up. Match energies. An angry voice chanted in her head which she decided to listen to in this moment. "Don't wanna keep you any longer than I have to. Thanks for fulfilling your end of the bargain to get me coffee."

Her voice was flat, if not a bit bitter. Frank stared at her as she stared back unwavering. He opened his mouth to speak but closed it and she just nodded before turning around. "I hope you get whatever it is you need to get done without a hitch. Bye Frank." She tossed softly over her shoulder before she started walking swiftly away, lest she turned around and make herself look like an idiot for trying to coax him into spending a bit more time with her.

"You're an idiot, Maggie. I can't believe you almost called it a date." She scoffed to herself as angry tears welled in her eyes for a minute as she walked back to her apartment. "Stupid crybaby." Maggie muttered as she rolled her own eyes at herself. However, as much as Maggie wanted to just block this out, she couldn't help but mull over the events over and over again in her head.

She didn't understand why he was so intimate with her, grabbing her by the waist and asking her to stay, holding her hand and asking her to walk through Central Park if it hadn't been a date. He certainly seemed like he couldn't wait to run away from her by the end of it and for the life of her, she didn't understand. Maggie thought back to what she had said right before he started acting cold.

When you love someone, you'd do anything. What was wrong with saying that? Maybe he has an ex he's hung up on and it reminded him of her. Maggie pondered but eventually just decided to stop thinking about it before it affected her mood.