The past

Lucy Chen just passed her probation time as a rookie. She is now a official police officer. She had become close to Tim Bradford her former T.O. and is now his go-fer. But Lucy had a secret, she has a 5 year old daughter. Her name is Ava. And no one knew about Ava except Jackson. Jackson west is the best friend and roommate of Lucy.

Lucy was 23 years old when she fell pregnant with Ava. She was still in college. Her boyfriend at the time left her when she told him. It turned out for the better, because they had a toxic relationship. Adam, her boyfriend and father of Ava was abusive. So Lucy decided to keep Ava a secret from her friends and colleagues because she didn't want to tell them who the father is and revisit the awful memories.

She only told Jackson because he is her best friend and he needed a room. And eventually lived with her and Ava. Jackson also became good friends with Ava. And helped Lucy with raising her and taking care of her.

Lucy was on patrol with Tim when she got a personal call. It was Ava's school.
L- hi, this is Lucy Chen.
AS- good afternoon miss Chen. This is the school of your daughter Ava. We are calling because Ava is feeling a bit sick. And we wondered if you could come and pick her up.
L- uhm oh okay I will see what I can do. Is it okay if I call you back in 10 minutes?
AS- yes that is alright.

Lucy ended the call and immediately called Jackson.
J- yo Luce what's up.
L- hey you have the day off right.
J- yea I just came back from the supermarket. what's up?
L- so Ava is feeling sick, can you pick her up from school?
J- yea sure, I think you are still on patrol that you can't pick her up right?
L- yes that right. Thank you so much. I will call them back and tell them that you are coming.
J- okay I'm on my way.

Lucy called the school back and told them that Jackson was on his way. Tim had heard everything and was left confused.
T- so what was that all About?
L- just something I had to take care of. Nothing big.
T- yea but what happened?
L- I thought no personal talk in the shop.
T- yes you are right.

The shift ended. Lucy took a quick shower and changed her clothes to go home to her sick daughter. She took care of Ava. And already called in sick for the next day.

The next day at the station:
T- morning sarge.
G- morning Bradford, you will be riding alone today.
T- oh okay why is that? Is something wrong with Lucy?
G- Lucy called in sick today.
T- oh okay. See you later sarge.

A- hey Tim, where is Lucy?
T- she apparently called in sick. She seemed fine to me yesterday. But she got a strange call yesterday and didn't tell what it was about.
A- maybe it was nothing.
T- yea but she had to call Jackson and asked if he could pick someone up, named Ava. And than called that number back to confirm it.
A- oh yea that is a little strange that she wouldn't tell if it is about someone. But don't think about it to much. It is probably nothing and none of your business.
T- yea you are right.

Ava was all better after two days of rest. And than weeks went by without anyone finding out about Ava. Jackson was on vacation with his family. So Lucy was home alone with Ava. That day Lucy was on patrol with Tim. Went they got a call over the radio. They went to the location and inspected the building. When all of the sudden Lucy was being grabbed by two men. Tim wasn't in the same room so she couldn't call for help. They kept beating Lucy until she was unconscious.
T- Chen it's clear on the second floor.
....
T- Chen please respond.
....
T- Chen?
...
Tim went and looked for Lucy. When he found her, he immediately ran to her and called for an RA. They arrived just a few minutes later. The paramedics got Lucy on a gurney and into the ambulance.
T- wait I coming with her.
P- okay step in.

Inside the ambulance Lucy gained consciousness but just for a minute. She only got out a few words.
L- av.... Ava
T- what, Lucy who is Ava.
L- Jackson... call
T- okay Lucy it's alright just take it easy.
Before Tim could say more she fell unconscious again. As soon as they arrived at the hospital and Tim had to wait in the waiting room he called Jackson.
J- hey Tim, what is wrong? Is something wrong with Lucy?
T- yes Jackson you have to help me. Lucy was beaten up pretty good. And she is unconscious and now in surgery.
J- omg yes what can I do.
T- she said I had to call you, and she said a name, it was a-
J- Ava
T- yes who is she and why is Lucy worrying about her?
J- so Ava is 5 years old. And you have to pick her up from school. She is uhm... Lucy's uh daughter.
T- wait what, Lucy has a daughter.
J- yes, she will explain it later but you have to pick up Ava from Wilshire elementary.
T- okay i will pick Ava up. Angela just arrived at the hospital. So I will bring her up to speed and than I'm on my way.
J- okay great,  oh and tell Ava your badge number she will know she can trust you.
T- okay thanks Jackson.
They ended the call. And Angela walked up to Tim together with sergeant grey.
G- what happened?
T- we were checking the building and she didn't respond on the radio. She was beaten pretty bad. I didn't see anyone. But I have to go now. Angela could you please stay here and wait till I'm back. She is still in surgery.
A- sure I can do that. But what is going on?
G- yes I would like to know that too.
T- so Lucy has a 5 year old daughter and I have to pick her up from school.
G- wait hold up. She has a daughter.
A- she didn't tell us. Did you know?
T- no, I just heard. I think only Jackson knew about Ava.
A- okay go pick up Ava and I will see you when you are back.
T- thanks.

Tim runs off. And quickly drives to Ava's school. Tim was a bit late. Almost all the kids were already picked up.
T- hi I'm looking for Ava Chen.
Teacher- yes this is Ava. Are you picking her up officer...?
T- uhm yes officer Bradford, Lucy and Jackson couldn't pick her up.
Ava- hi, could you please tell me your badge number?
T- yes of course that is yes that is 3483 and my full name is Timothy Bradford.
Ava- okay I have heard about you. Mom sometimes says your name.
T- okay nice to meet you Ava.
He kneels down and gave her a hand. Ava shook his hand.
T- do you wanna sit in the police car?
Ava- yes I always was curious what a shop looks like from the inside.
T- oh you know some things about police work.
He said as they walked to the shop.
Ava- of course mommy taught me so I was prepared if I need it, sir.
T- she did well, and you can call me Tim.
Ava- okay Tim, can you tell me why my mommy isn't here?
T- yes there were some bad people who hurt your mommy. So she is in the hospital and save for now. And the police is looking for the bad people.
Ava- okay, so you will take me to my mommy.
T- yes and I will wait with you.
Ava- thank you. But who will take care of me if mommy can't go home tonight. And Jackson still is on vacation.
T- we still don't know. Maybe you can go to your grandparents?
Ava- no mommy doesn't talk to them anymore.
T- oh okay, until we know where you will stay. I will stay with you.
Ava- thank you Tim.

After a few minutes Ava fell asleep. They arrived at the hospital when Ava was sleeping for about 10 minutes. Tim thought about waking her up. But he eventually just carried her inside the hospital still asleep.
T- any news yet?
A- no not yet. The nurse said she was still in surgery.
T- okay thank you.
A- awh is this Ava. She really looks like a mini Lucy.
T- yea I know. And she is well raised. She knows a lot about police work.
A- I wouldn't think otherwise. How could she keep this a secret for so long?
T- I still ask myself the same question. I rode with her almost everyday.

At that moment the doctor came in.
D- family for Lucy?
T- yes that would be us doctor.
D- okay she is stable for now. But because of the damage. We had to put her in a coma. We don't know when she will wake up. But it could be a few days till a few weeks.
T- okay thank you for everything.
A- that is a relief. Luckily she still has a mother.
T- yes about Ava, I need to make a phone call to Jackson. Could you just sit with her till I'm back. Thank you can leave.
A- yea sure.