13. In-laws

"I guess this is what they meant when they said that everyone changes for the better when they meet the right person," Gina commented as she watched his son pick up the jacket that had just fallen off the jacket hanger after getting a look from her son-in-law.

Normally, Zo wouldn't even have noticed that the jacket had fallen. It would be the maid's job to pick it up. But this time, because of her son-in-law, her son was being more diligent.

This made her grow fonder of Nai.

The newlyweds were visiting the family mansion of the Boonruangs for the first time. The family mansion was where Zo's parents and grandfather lived.

"I guess you are right," Sainam smiled, feeling genuinely happy for Zo.

As the Boonruangs and Wongsrisais lived next to each other, Sainam and her husband were also at the family mansion. While the husbands were busy discussing business, the wives indulged themselves in gossiping. 

Gina and Sainam watched Zo and Nai heading towards Pong and talking to him. From the way her father-in-law was interacting with Nai, Gina could see that the latter had won the former's approval.

"I just want the things to work out between these two," Gina sighed heavily.

Sainam chuckled. "Isn't everything going well? Just look at Zo and how obedient he has become after the wedding." She felt that her friend was worrying for nothing.

"But those two are sleeping in separate rooms na. How can I not worry?" Gina said helplessly.

"What?" Sainam was shocked. She looked at the newlyweds again. They looked like a couple in love to her. She couldn't believe that the couple didn't even share a room despite being married.

"You remember Nang? That helper I sent to clean Zo's place? She told me."

"Told you what?"

"Since Zo knew that Moo was going to run away and the wedding most probably would get canceled, he hadn't notified Nang not to come in to clean his place the day after their wedding. When she got there that day, she saw a blanket neatly folded on the couch in the living room. It was so apparent that Nai had slept in the living room that night."

Sainam was surprised at the revelation. "Didn't she meet Nai, then?"

Gina continued with a sad look on her face. "No, Nai was gone by the time she got there. All she found was the breakfast that the kid prepared for Zo and a note. Zo was so shocked to realize that Nai wasn't home when he woke up."

"What did the note say?" Sainam asked.

"No idea. Zo was the one who read it," Gina closed her eyes and leaned back on the chair. " Nang told me that all of Nai's things are placed in the old guest room. Nai stays there and Zo stays in his room. Why do these kids have to sleep in separate rooms?" She complained.

"Let them take their time na, honey," Yak said as he sat on the chair next to his wife.

He had just finished talking with Saifar and had come over to find their spouses.

"I am not saying that they can't have time. It's just that... I feel like things would be easier if they shared a room like a normal married couple. I know it would be awkward in the beginning but those two are kids of today, they will get used to it real fast."

A maid approached them to tell them that the lunch was being served. The conversation was paused for the time being.

Everyone, including the Wongsrisais, sat down around the dinner table. 

The atmosphere was harmonious, and everyone was having a good time.

"N' Nai, have you told your family about the marriage? How about you two go and meet your parents first and we will follow you in a few days?" Gina wanted to make sure that Nai's family didn't have an opposition towards the marriage.

"No, Khrab. I haven't told them yet. I don't think it is necessary to get my family involved in this," Nai said calmly.

"What do you mean, son?" Yak was the one to raise the question.

"This is just a marriage of convivence after all" Nai shrugged.

Zo, who was sitting next to him froze, "What?" Their marriage had it rough in the past few days. Nai barely talked to him. No matter how Zo tried to create opportunities for them to talk, Nai would avoid him. And now, hearing his husband address their marriage as a marriage of convivence, he was hurt.

"What 'what'? The bride ran away on the wedding day and you guys wanted a stand in so that the wedding could happen that day. I became the stand in so that the wedding I coordinated wouldn't get canceled. Both sides were doing it for convivence, right?" Nai looked at his husband.

The whole dinner table went silent. Everyone was speechless.

"I was actually planning to bring this topic up after lunch," Nai knew that this wasn't a topic to be discussed while eating. "I have already had my lawyer prepare an agreement. I hope you all can go through it, and we could sign it."

"What agreement, son?" Gina felt her whole body turn cold.

"Just an agreement with few of my conditions. I have brought it along with me. We can take a look at it after the dinner." Nai said with a professional smile.

Zo was staring at Nai blankly. He had no idea what Nai was talking about.

"What condition, Nai?" Gina couldn't sit still.

"Some conditions that all of us that have to keep in mind for the next one year before we get a divorce" Nai said while sipping his drink.

"Divorce?" Gina was shell shocked hearing the word come out of Nai's lips. "You two had been married for less than a month. You two haven't even given your relationship a chance."

"Khun Gina, I understand your concern as a mother. But I have to tell you that your son is straight and I am a guy. There is no way this marriage is going to work out. If not for the misinformation you had provided to me and my colleagues, this wedding wouldn't have happened in the first place."

"I am not straight!" Zo was really angry seeing how easily Nai had brought up the matter of divorce. But he held himself back.

"That's not what you told me, Young Master Zo" Nai was very calm.

Zo understood that it was because of his naive confession that day. His two best friends had helped him analyze the situation and had made him realize how big of a mistake he had made while telling Nai that he felt repulsed while trying to do a guy.

"I didn't mean it like that. I never said that I felt repulsed by you," He really had to clear this misunderstanding.

Nai could see where the conversation was heading "I don't think this is an appropriate topic to be discussed in front of the elders of the family, Young Master Zo."

He didn't want Zo to say anything to explain his 'not-straight' sexuality.