Chapter 5

"You will have to forgo pocket handkerchiefs and a good many other things until we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire. But home is behind you. The world is ahead."

Raewynn smiled, the wizard may annoy her a majority of the time, but she had to give him this: 'He knows how to drop wisdom like nobody's business. A Wizard's wisdom... wizardom... wizdom? Yeah, it's called wizdom.' Raewynn smiled to herself at her own antics.

The princes easily picked up the scent of humor and were quick to investigate. They rode up on each side of Norethun. Raewynn's eyebrow shot up, intuition telling her they were looking for trouble. "And how may I be of service to the Princes of Durin?" She asked politely, watching them out of the corner of her eyes.

Kili was the first to reply, swishing his hair back out of his face dramatically before proudly declaring, "Who says we are in need of your service?" His brother, Fili, was quick to continue, "We are, however, in need of some answers."

Raewynn chuckled, "That would be a service, young Princes."

They both looked at each other in question before shrugging simultaneously. "Very well." They agreed. Fili took the reins once more, "Our mentor and cousin, Master Balin, speaks very highly of you. Why might that be?"

She could have laughed at how horrible their first question was. They were expecting her to spill all of her secrets. She decided to make them lose a couple of hairs today. "I must say, that was a horrible first question. Too broad of a topic. Do better and I might be inclined to answer." She said briefly, her lips tilted upwards when she saw the affronted looks of their faces. She saw right through them, they expected her to fall to her knees and worship them and give them everything they sought. 'They are in for a treat' she thought smugly.

"Alright well, where do you hail from?" / "Someplace off the maps now. Next."

"How are you able to give uncanny animal impressions?" / "You'll find out soon enough. Next."

"Are you an elf? Or a hybrid?" / "Do I have pointed ears or fair skin? Do better."

"How old are you?" / Raewynn acted affronted, "How rude are the Sons of Durin! Asking a Lady her age! My, my. Besides, I don't think your math skills are that great, so it would be no use of me telling you."

The two were fuming, their cheeks turning red from contained pressure. Raewynn had to turn away from them to hide her cheeky grin, 'oh this will be a fun adventure indeed.'

Bofur rode up beside them with a twinkle in his eye. "Do my ears deceive me or do I hear sarcasm and teasing up here? I must say, my Lady, I'm quite distraught for not being invited to join the party." Raewynn laughed, she quite liked this particular dwarf.

"I must apologize Bofur, I meant no offense. I was having so much fun I didn't think to share." He let out a belly laugh. "Now, what is your occupation, oh great mischievous warrior?" She winked at him, knowing full well he wasn't a battle trained warrior.

"I'm a tinker! I have a shop in the blue mountains with my brother Bifur and we make children's toys." Raewynn could certainly see the jolly dwarf filling the role as someone kids ran to for new treats and toys. She smiled, "Impressive!"

He chuckled, a healthy blush staining his cheeks from the compliment, "Oh, it's nothing. I'm no warrior like Dwalin nor leader like Thorin. You can save your compliments for another, My Lady."

She spoke earnestly, "No truly, your occupation is both honorable and impressive. I say, I truly can't fold a piece of paper, much less carve wood or tinker." They both laughed openly at that. The princes sulked behind them, upset they weren't a part of the conversation. "I didn't take you for the humble type, Bofur." She winked at him. Bofur's chest puffed out and a goofy smile spread across his face, "I am a dwarf of all trades, My Lady." He winked back. They both met each others eyes before laughing loudly once more.