Chapter 10

"I'm so sorry," my mother's hands wrap tight around mine and I shake my head confused. The door to our room abruptly opens and 2 guards walk in. "Elena, honey I'm so sorry I let this happen," the tears come fast out of her bright eyes. "I'm so sorry." her voice cracks and her hands are pulled behind her back.

This can't be happening again. I'm only 15. I can't lose my mother. She's all I have left.

"Mariana Mastersons you are under arrest for possession of illegal weaponry," the guard announces. I grab the other guards arm pulling him away from her.

"You can't take her away! You can't," he shoves me to floor and I land roughly. They drag her out of the room and the guard who shoved me bends to face me.

"We'll be seeing each other again, kid." He smirks before walking out. I lay on the cold floor, alone. Something I'll have to get used to.

"No!" The shrill sound of Charlotte's voice waits me from my sleep. I sit up faster than the speed of light and look to see Bellamy waking her up from another nightmare. I quickly slip on his jacket before sitting next to them.

"I'm sorry," she sniffles sitting up.

"Does it happen often? What are you scared of? You know what? It doesn't matter," he says focusing solely on her.
"The only thing that matters is what you do about it,"

"But I'm asleep." She says confused.

"Fears are fears. Slay your demons when you're awake, they won't be there to get you when you sleep," I smile at the softness and kindness of his voice. He actually cares which is a major change from the Bellamy I've seen so far.

"Yeah, but how?"

"You can't afford to be weak. Down here, weakness is death, fear is death. Let me see that knife I gave you," her small hands pass the knife to him, "Now, when you feel afraid, you hold tight to that knife and you say, 'screw you, I'm not afraid'"

"Screw you. I'm not afraid.
Screw you. I'm not afraid." She says strongly and she smiles slightly at him.

"Slay your demons, kid. Then you'll be able to sleep."

After a few minutes I hear Charlotte's breathing even out and I turn towards Bellamy. He looks at me for a second before taking a deep breathe.

"Wow," I say trying to hide the smile on my face.

"What?" he says looking anywhere but me.

"Big bad Bellamy has a sweet side. Who would have thought?" I smile at him and he rolls his eyes.

"I'm not sweet," he glares, but I can tell it's not serious.

"Well I'd have to fight you on that. You might not know me well, but you don't have to put that whole 'I'm the rebel king who doesn't care about anything' front on with me. I wouldn't think any less of you," I tell him honestly. Seeing him this way actually makes me think a little more highly of him. Knowing he isn't always so cold and brutal.

"Yeah. I'll remember that," he says and I even get a small smile from him. "I see your enjoying my jacket." He laughs a little and the sound is amazing.

I smile and look down. The sleeves pass my shorts arms and its twice my size. I pick the collar and look up at him, "Do you want it back?"

"No, you keep it. You should get some sleep, though." Again he smiles and I realize the huge difference between his cocky smirk and his brilliant smile. I return it before laying down on the stone floor. Closer to both Charlotte and Bellamy. For the first time in years I felt a burst of relief and safety.

-

"Where's Atom?" Bellamy asks looking around. The smoke has cleared and we've found everyone but Atom.

Suddenly I hear a small scream come from Charlotte and I turn running in her direction. I grab her and push her behind me.

"What's wrong?" Bellamy appears standing in front of me.

When I notice Atom's body laying on the ground burned and bloody I close my eyes for a second. I turn back and crouch down in front of her.

"Charlotte I need you to go back to camp with the rest okay? Go back to camp and make sure everything is okay," I smile at her trying to make it all seem okay.

She was too young for this. To see and deal with these things. She nods her head before turning away. I start to walk towards Atom when a larger hand wraps around mine. I turn to face Bellamy and he looks worriedly between me and Atom.

"It's alright," I reassure him and he drops my hand. We both walk slowly toward him. I sit on my knees by his side and Bellamy does the same.

"Kill. Me. Kill me," his raspy gargled voice was quiet, yet it hurt my ears. Bellamy held a knife by his throat, but his hands hesitated.

That's when I realize he's not a bad guy. He might act like the powerful ruler that would kill you for one wrong move, but now I know he's not. He's just a guy trying to keep his sister safe and I can only find respect for him in this moment. My hand covers his and I slowly remove the knife. "It's okay," I whisper.

If he didn't have to kill, I didn't want him to live with the blood on his hands.

I start to hum a tune my mother used to sing to me every night. It would calm me down enough to fall asleep and I can only hope it has the same effect on Atom. I place the knife next to his neck and lean closer to him. I push the knife in and look into his eyes. What once was a living, breathing teenager is now dead. I pull the knife out and look down at my hands.

"I'm sorry," I whisper looking at the lifeless body sitting in front of me. He was so young and now his life was over.