59 THE NEO-EGOIST LEAGUE

Start from the beginning

Of course, Ego could never be nice. It would certainly kill him. You look at the next thing laid flat on your bed. A watch. It had a screen similar to that of your tablet, except its case was fully black and the screen lit up when you touched it.

Next, is a fitness watch. You managers must keep track of your player's vital stats, and what better way than using a smartwatch? This one strictly does not allow access to anything but vital stats to your players and yourself. Heartbeat, blood flow, stress levels—everything is in this watch.

You don't even want to think about how he even managed to pull this off, so you don't. You think the uses of this watch are plainly simple, so after you slip it onto your wrist—you quickly look towards the last thing left for you. It's a case—a case for something, you don't know what yet.

So you open the case, and there lay two earbuds. They blend in perfectly with the colour of your hair, as if they were tailor-made for you, and fit snugly into your ear without a hint of discomfort. You remove them right after you realise you have no idea what they do—they could turn you into a frog for all you knew—and quickly pick up the note to make sure you don't somehow go green and froggy,

For the last item, it is a pair of earbuds from our generous sponsors of this project. They allow communication through different languages—each one for all of you is directly defaulted to go from whatever language you hear, into Japanese. Isn't that incredible? 

You don't disagree that they're super cool, but you wonder why you even need them. Was Ego feeling nice and wanted you all to test-run his new mad project? You could never tell with him.

Now that you're acquainted with everything, make your way to the monitor rooms. More information will be discussed there.
- Ego Jinpachi

You scrunch up your nose and roll your eyes, but still, you discard the paper on the carpet beneath you, walking out of the room in your flats and making your way to the monitor rooms. It must be important if we're getting invited there.

Making your way into Ego's fortress—you'd be lying if you said it didn't intimidate you. Spending all day, every day in there without fail—it must smell like garbage.

Still, you guess it's still (sort of) an honour, and an incredibly rare experience to even see him in person—and he's your boss—so you follow the note's instructions and find yourself standing at Ego's door. There's a strip of light that peeks out from the slight crack in the open door—usually, the room was pitch dark—and you can make out a few figures.

You open the door and step inside, and you're sure you've just stepped into a whole other alternate universe when you have.

There are all of your manager friends, Anri, and Ego, and two unfamiliar faces. Your first thought it that these are two women—who have distinctive European features, which stand out in a room full of Japanese people—and they don't look all too pleased to be here. Well, one of them, anyway. The brown-eyed brunette with bouncy curls that your eyes are instantly drawn to looks like she's going to pass out from boredom. 

And the green-eyed blonde next to her, on the other hand, is smiling, but it feels oddly empty and stretches out across her face a bit too wide. Your second thought is that they're both very pretty. The brunette has soft features that make her look otherworldly, while the blonde has a sharp and angled face that smooths over her prominent facial bones. 

Still, you tear your eyes away once the blonde gives you a look, one you can't really decipher, and you face Anri and Ego.

Before you can speak, however, Ego interrupts you, very rudely, if you may add, "Before you ask any redundant questions—I will explain this, one more time." His voice sounds strained when he says the last part—you have a feeling he's explained this certain subject of whatever-the-hell's going on here one too many times by now.