Prologue

"Jimin stop!" You laughed out as his fingers swirled the wind around us into small cyclones. Elemental tag. A game you had come up with to practice your abilities.

Jungkook had already run further into the forest, while Jin was chasing Taehyung who was desperately trying to use vines to catch his legs to avoid being tagged by the older boy.

"Gotcha!" Jimin exclaimed, smacking his hand on your head. You closed your eyes, counted to 5, and then began your hunt for Jungkook.

He was always the hardest to catch. His abilities had progressed much quicker than all of ours.

-

Taehyung's came in first, once his mother noticed all the plants in his room were growing much quicker than usual.

Jin was next, as he almost caused his room to flood while he was having a nightmare.

Then came you, lights flickering and walls shaking whenever Jimin decided it would be fun to scare you.

Jimin had focused a lot on trying to bring his in, not wanting to be the last of you to get his. He constantly tried home remedies and forced his parents to bring in doctors every week. Eventually, he was able to summon a small gust of wind and was so overjoyed he bragged about it for weeks.

Finally Jungkook. After a particularly frustrating argument with his parents, he burned down an entire garden. None of you knew how he could have been so powerful right off the bat. You were jealous, his family was scared.

Children aren't typically the best with their abilities, and it's extremely rare to have elemental capacities. They're typically closely watched and are guaranteed a spot in the Battle of Heirs.

-

As you ran in Jungkook's direction, avoiding the cluster of roots and branches that coated the ground, you noticed the faint smell of smoke. "Jin get over here, I think Jungkook managed to light another thing on fire!" You giggled. You heard him yell a reply in the distance as the rest of the group came to you.

You then rounded the corner of a large hill to find a house on fire, surrounded by the dense woods. You screamed for Jin, turning around to face Taehyung, who looked as scared as you felt.

"Y/n, go find Jungkook," Taehyung whispered, "and be careful." Jin rounded the corner with Jimin, both of them running into action. Jin began to muster up as much water as he could while Jimin tried to pull away the oxygen feeding the growing blaze. You stood there, frozen in place, too shocked to move.

"Taehyung, get the trees away. If those catch, the entire forest will burn."

The four of you fought the fire as much as you could. You used your energy to help Taehyung get the brush of the forest away, Jin and Jimin focusing on the structure itself and Jungkook nowhere to be seen. It felt like you'd be there for hours, when truthfully it was most likely minutes.

Finally, you were able to get it down to a small collection of sparks, all exhausted and shaking.

"I'm so sorry." Jungkook came into view, sobbing. "Did... did you save her?"

"Save who?" Jin snarled.

"The little girl on the top floor." He breathed out.