Chapter 5

He had heard his wife was an orphan.

And truly no one has visited her acquaintance even in all these years.

But today that strange scene in the lawn stuck in his mind. He just couldn't ignore the curiosity. Who was Zafiq Alam to his wife? What was the reason behind their agonizing behaviour when they saw each other?

He darted a sideways glance around but didn't find his wife anywhere. There definitely was something into this, his wife and Zafiq Alam.

All his troublesome thoughts vanished in thin air the moment he spotted someone he never expected to see in their house.

"Murtasim!" His surprised voice and the particular name attracted everyone's attention.

All curious eyes looked up to find Murtasim Hamdani and his younger sister Nooriya Hamdani standing at the threshold of Shahnawaz Haveli.

"Murtasim Bhai!!" Ishaaq, Sitara, Momin, Inayah and Amir erupted in shouts of excitement and ran to Murtasim.

Sameeran Shahnawaz also followed them and hugged Murtasim sobbing in his arms.

"Murtasim! Mera bachcha. I can't believe you are here!"

There was a long silence before they heard Murtasim's solemn voice, "Sorry. I didn't come here. I went to my brother Shahveer's marriage in Zaidi House. But the house was completely empty...moreover Noori wanted to come to her Sister's wedding so I'm just here to drop her."

Murtasim cleared himself with an emotionless face. He still didn't enter inside the house. The smile on Sameeran's face vanished.

"Tum yeha nahi aaye? We sent invitation card to Hamdani house"

"Murtasim Hamdani wohi jaate Hain jaha uski asma ki kadar aur ijazat ho. But because I promised my brother Shahveer that I will attend his marriage, So went to Zaidi house but there..... khair chode" He exhaled and looked at his sister.

"Noori, you go inside and enjoy, aur haan agar tum yeha rehna chaho toh mujhe inform kar dena ya phir Shahveer ke sath Zaidi house chale jana"

"Ji Bhai" Nooriya nodded and stepped inside. Murtasim turned around to leave when he heard something in a voice he didn't expect to hear ever.

"Shahnawaz don't even permit their enemy to return from threshold without hospitality. You are although not our family, friend or foe but still I wouldn't want Shahnawaz's rituals to be broken for You"

Murtasim stopped dead in his track, eyebrow raised in mock surprise as he looked at Abdullah Shahnawaz, his dear Nana Jaan. Both the men's cold stare met in a silent battle and none of them was ready to back off.

"That's great! But I think you didn't hear me Mr. Shahnawaz, I had no intention or interest to come here...in your house. I just came to drop my sister at her Mama's house, and will go back to Zaidi house to attend my brother's wedding if it's needed......"

"And if by any chance you forgot remember that your brother Shahveer is marrying Shahnawaz's daughter. Your brother's marriage is taking place in Shahnawaz Haveli. So Murtasim Hamdani keep your words and attend your brother's wedding."

His lips tightened, jaw clenched as he took in Abdullah Shahnawaz's words. He can't break the promise he made to Shahveer. A strong feeling of annoyance coursing through his veins. Neither he can let Abdullah Shahnawaz to have the vicious smirk dancing on his face.

"As I told before I don't go where my mother is not allowed to go and with whom she has no relation"

"We sent invitation card to your dear Ammi as well, but she is too disrespectful and inconciderate to accept our request. Today going away from Shahnawaz threshold don't prove your mother's terrible upbringing"