Emma

Next morning, I wake up as if everything was normal and go to school. The day passes like usual, with nothing especially thrilling happening. Next day is even more boring, until fencing practice comes. I go there with Sadie, and I decide to tell her what I dreamt about.

"My dad cheated on my mum when she was pregnant with me and I think the woman kept the baby. I might have a half sibling," I say.

Sadie hugs me around my shoulders. "Are you okay?"

My lip trembles, but I deny any negative feelings I may have. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Sadie stops and puts her hands on my shoulders. "Emma, you don't always have to be strong, alright? I am not going to laugh at you, I am not going to make fun of you, and maybe I won't understand you, but I'll cry with you, alright? I'll always be here for you. I'm not leaving and I'm not betraying you or who knows what. I will be consistent in your life no matter what because I love you, Emma, and that won't change."

I nod, trying not to cry. "Same applies the other way, okay?" I don't know much about it, but I know Sadie had it worse than me at one point. She was severely bullied, and Carla once accused her of stalking her some time after the bullying stopped. She doesn't talk much about it, but it sounds like hell.

"Okay," Sadie says, hugging me. I hug her back, resting my head against her shoulder, letting few tears roll down my cheeks. These is exactly what I needed. "One day, we will be alright," Sadie whispers. I hope so.

When I get home from fencing practice, I feel really tired. When I enter the apartment, I notice my dad waiting for me on the couch.

"Emma, we have to talk. I need to tell you something."

I start taking of my shoes, trying to avoid eye contact with him. "What is it, dad?"

"Remember that dream you had two nights ago? Your visions?"

"How do you know about them?" I ask.

"Your mother told me, and I wanted to talk it out."

Everything I do, I do for you and Mark, Emma. "Yeah, I remember them. How could I forget? I found out that I have half siblings because you knocked the poor woman up, mum's best friend at the time."

"It was few days after your mum told me she was pregnant with you."

"Why did you sleep with another woman then? If you knew that you'll have a child and that you will be a father, why would you sleep with someone else?"

"Your mum and I had a big fight and we didn't broke up, but something similar happened. We didn't speak for a few days and I was getting impatient for her to answer my calls. I got drunk one evening in a bar, then Helena took me home, we drank some more, and, one thing after another, I slept with your mum's now ex best friend."

"And she got pregnant. I know most of that because that are the stories of which my visions consisted. Mum and you made up some time before you found out," I state. "Did Helena actually keep the baby?"

"There were two babies, twins."

"So she kept them," I say. The realisation that I had siblings was still getting to my brain. "So I have had siblings, half siblings for my entire life and you didn't dare to tell me for thirteen years?!" I yell.

"Because I knew you would react like this. And you have every right too."

"We have some other siblings?" I turn around and see Mark, leaning against the doorway. "What?"

"Dad had sex with another woman when mum was pregnant with me and now she has twins probably few weeks younger than me."

"Dad! How could you do that to mum!" Mark yells. "You are such a damn shitty idiot!"