𝟏𝟑

𝐚𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐲'𝐬

𝐚𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐲'𝐬

y/n

we were back on the bus, headed back to the city. this time, it wasn't full of people. it was just me, peter, and gabriel. i was sitting next to him, while peter slept a few rows behind us.

gabriel examined the broken override key. he looked back at me with a questioning expression. "he broke this?"

"yeah," i lied. "he's actually really embarrassed about it, so keep it between us, okay?" i whispered. gabriel chuckled.

"i know where we can make a new one." he said. "and we won't let him break it this time." a small smile appeared on his lips.

a soft laugh escaped me before it got quiet again. i stared at my lap, then gave a quick glance to the boy next to me.

"i'm sorry about your friend." i whispered.

gabriel seemed to tense a little. he clearly hadn't expected me to say that. it made me wonder if i should've said anything at all.

but his eyes softened. as did the rest of him. "thanks, y/n." he said. his eyes darted to the window, then back to his lap, then back to me. "i know how hard this is. to have to figure this stuff out on your own." he smiled at me. "it's kinda nice not being the only spider-person around."

his voice had a newfound softness to it. it was soulful. almost like he'd been longing for something like this. for someone to talk to.

i wanted to be that person. to be his friend.

"yeah." i paused, thinking of what to say. "if you ever decide to do friends again.. i could always open up a slot. if you wanted."

gabriel looked down at the key. "i'll.. keep you posted."

that meant i had hope.

he looked back at me and smiled. i smiled back. "okay."

peter

what the two didn't know was that i was awake the entire time. which meant i heard their entire interaction. it put a smile on my face.

i couldn't lie, the kid was starting to grow on me.

....

just a little bit.

i was a teenager once. it was pretty clear (to me at least) y/n had a crush on gabriel.

even if the two were opposites, they couldn't be more similar.

they went quiet, sharing small, less significant interactions throughout the ride. once it was over and we were off the bus, gabriel pulled me aside. "peter, you know where we have to go."

i knew all too well. we had to go to aunt may's.

i took a deep breath. "yeah," i nodded.

i didn't want to go there. not after everything back home. i knew it would hurt. but we had to do it.

"let's go." i said. y/n caught up to us. "where are we going now?" she asked, stuffing the goober into her pocket.

"aunt may's."

she saw the look on my face and could tell almost immediately. 

"peter.."

i looked down at her and showed a small smile. "i'm okay, kid. promise."

y/n took a breath and held out her pinky. "what's this for..?" i gestured to her extended hand. "i promised myself i would make sure you'd be okay. promise me you'll take care of yourself too."

this kid was really something.

i looked at her pinky, then back at her. "you have a good heart, y/n."

there was something about her i just couldn't say no to. so i hooked my pinky around hers and said, "i promise."

y/n

i smiled, then turned to gabriel, who was looking with a soft, surprised expression. i held my pinky out to him. "that goes for you too."

he crossed his arms and gave me a playful, yet sincere look. "you don't take no as an answer often, do you?"

i smiled. "not really." he chuckled again. i was growing to love his laugh.

he stepped up, and hooked his pinky with mine. i felt sparks fly where our fingers connected. staring into my eyes, he said, "i promise." with the softest tone of voice.

we pulled our hands away after a moment.

"which way to aunt may's?"

𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐩!

peter flung a web at the doorbell. he was nervous. rightfully so.

"we should probably go.." he trailed.

"peter, we're literally on the doorstep." gabriel said. i looked at peter and nodded. "besides, we need to do this. not to mention it would be really rude."

peter paused. "bad idea. this is a bad idea." he started to walk off. gabriel pulled him back. "just relax." he instructed.

may's silhouette appeared in the corner of the door. "you guys are all very sweet, but no more fan's today, please.."

slowly, the door creaked open. revealing gabriel and i first, the peter. i heard a gasp come from may. she opened the door completely.

"i'm not ready for this.." peter muttered.

may dropped the bat in her hands and slowly walked to him.

"peter..?" her soft voice broke. she reached out to touch him, but hesitated. "hey, aunt may." peter spoke. may rested a hand on his hear and cheek, taking everything in. i couldn't blame her.

"so, this is gonna sound crazy, but i'm pretty sure that i'm from an.."

"an alternate dimension." may finished for him.

"yeah."

how did she know so fast?

the same question was clearly running through peter and gabriel's heads.

"you look tired, peter." may said.

"well, i am tired."

"and older. and thicker." she observed. "yeah, i heard that already." i held back a laugh.

"oh, jeez, are those sweatpants?"

"yup." gabriel said, murmuring. "that's what they are."

"i was there.." i blurted. may and peter turned to face me. "..when it all happened. i'm so sorry.."

"and what dimension are you from?" she asked me.

"brooklyn. this one." i took the override key out of my pocket and showed it to may. "did peter have a place where we could make another one of these?"

she softly took it from my hands. "a goober." she observed. she looked back up at us.

"follow me."