Chapter 67: Docking

The Eclectus directly linked with the mining ship, and the docking ring extended and connected to the shuttle's hatches perfectly; the galactic, universal standard made sure of that. Their status was confirmed by a series of clicks, clunks, and hisses as the hydraulics and computer systems linked together. The Eclectus operated autonomously, freeing the crew to meet their new home at the same time. No one was left behind. "Cabin pressure equalized." A male mechanical voice announced over the speakers in the airlock. Cal tilted his head cutely in confusion; he'd become used to D1's omnipresence and wasn't expecting to hear this new voice; he'd come to see D1 as a caretaker and wasn't used to being without her, "What happened to D1?" He asked, worry striking him like the bite of a vicious wild animal.

Kipp held up a very big cylinder-shaped computer core; as far as height went, it was in the range of a typical 21st-century fire extinguisher, and perfectly proportioned on each of its sides. It was amazing that an entire artificial entity existed in that core. It was primarily aluminum with a gold cage surrounding its exterior and protecting the nest of computer chips and processors that made up D1; even though it was disconnected, the outside lighting occasionally pulsated, like little windows in an apartment tower going on and off. "She's in here. She'll help us get started." Everyone knew what to expect, at least partially. Kipp held his good tool kit in the other hand, ready to work. Maxion's expression was dark. He glared blankly at the wall, refusing to interact with the crew, still livid at his mother for lying. Kai held Cam's hand. In the absence of Bodi, Cam quickly became his 'person.' Cal was looking to the future, salvation, at least for 15,000 of them. Gauge wasn't present yet, but scans indicated that there was an EVA hatch identical to this one but located directly off the bridge. He'd find it eventually and would meet them on board. 

The light on the control panel flickered on and off. And Kipp huffed and approached, pressing on the keys and trying to force the system to comply. "It's jammed... wait one—" The doors exhaled and slowly whirred open. The corridor was flooded with the Eclectus' bright docking lights, and the crew's shadows were eerily cast on the walls as they observed the musky stench of old hardware. "Never mind... just a little slow. The computer's been asleep for a long time... Make's sense." Kipp resolved, stepping back and rejoining the crew. This ship was rough— it had exposed pipes and wires, and everything was either beige, grey, or rusty aluminum, which was probably at one point polished by an owner who cared deeply for its appearance. The corridor was long... very long; it extended the ship's length. With the ship being a straight tube on the outside, it was reasonable to expect that the hallways on the inside would naturally resemble that. With breaks in the walls every so often leading to the various rooms on the deck—65 levels of this. "Longship," Cal said, wrinkling his nose; not one observation window was present. "Let's split up. Cal, Kipp, Max, you head to engineering to see if you can bring the backup power online. Kai and I will meet Gauge on the bridge and see if we can't plot a course home." Cam ordered briskly, "Aye, aye." Cal said, tapping into his military sense, he took the lead of his team, which was the best approach. He was used to walking through places like this for the military, so he'd be the most alert and ready to take on any sign of danger. Maxion and Kipp fell in behind.

 A1 approached Cam, hoping to find a task suitable to his skill. "How may I help you?"

"Stay here and guard the Eclectus," Cam ordered. A1 was officially in limbo; he had no purpose now that they realized he wasn't really a key to the 'Opus.' But he handled menial tasks just the same. He saluted and planted himself in front of the docking hatch. "Shall we?" Kai stared at Cam, and the mouse nodded. Kai started in the opposite direction with Cam's hand still attached to his own. Kai read the signs on the bulkhead, but the glare of the inconsistent flickering light made it so that he could barely read it. "Look at that, maintenance junction. You can climb inside of it. Go ahead, squeeze in."

Kai wouldn't even bother trying the controls on the side of the panel. The hatch was probably frozen like all of the rest of the systems. Cam did as he was told after Kai relinquished his hand. He liquified and forced himself into the hatch, and Kai followed after; Kai playfully reformed on the other side, looming over Cam in a coquettish position. Cam rolled over onto his back and made eye contact with Kai; surprisingly, the entire section was lit with dim emergency bulbs. No doubt for the work crews that would be in here in the past trying to keep this hunk of junk from flying apart. "Has anyone ever told you that you're irresistible when you turn into goop?" Kai asked coyly, smirking excitedly as he wrapped his tail around Cam's leg and leaned in to kiss the mouse passionately. Cam exhaled, squaring his shoulders as Kai pulled away. "W—what are you doing?"

"Well... we haven't been alone for two and a half months... It'll take the boys a few hours to figure out what's making the power fluctuate, and then we'll be on our way... on the run again." Kai released his grip on the mouse's leg and combined his and Cam's tails into one extending piece with a soft sucking sound; then Kai exhaled sharply. "What about Gauge..? We're supposed to meet him." Cam questioned, his voice echoing through the mechanical cavern.

Kai grunted as the first lump of goop passed between his tail and Cam's. "He can find his own way," Kai said as he hugged Cam; he turned him to one side and started spooning him, which was nice because he felt warm in this cold, dark corridor. "Just five minutes... we don't even have to envelop each other... that'll let us keep time." Cam wasn't as experienced with a non-combination merge. This was a particularly niche way to share a merge. Kai was fond of it because his thoughts had much to say; he hugged Cam tightly, sighting in comfort as he lay beside him. "Tell me about the rock climbing," Cam asked after briefly studying Kai's thoughts. Kai jerked in surprise but remained locked on; his heart rate increased... as if the inquiry spooked him— his muzzle burrowing deep into Cam's shoulder. "When... I was seven, and my dad used to take me rock climbing. It helped me relax. I guess. But I did it alone sometimes, too."

"Who was she?" Cam asked, but he already knew the answer again. It was just nice to have a conversation. "Lira... she was special. I hadn't fallen in love with anyone else until I met you... call it Stockholm syndrome because you kept me in medical all that time... I probably know just as much about doctoring as you do." Cam laughed, and Kai's heart rate relaxed at Cam's laughter. "Okay... we should probably keep going." Kai moved, separating himself from Cam like a rodent trying to scurry away after it's been caught in a trap. "Wait. Did I say something wrong?" Cam looked up, turning around on his hands and knees to crawl around the vents with Kai. "No... it's not that."

"Then what?" Cam asked directly— having been disconnected from Kai now— he had to ask because he couldn't read his mind anymore. "I just haven't thought about her in a long time, and when I think about her, I think about my parents. They died in a fire. I've been taking care of my little brother ever since." Kai paused, shuttering. "Bodi, you're thinking about him?" Cam concluded. Kai sighed, nodding in the dark, "I miss him; I don't want to lose him. When that Gaurd put his hands on him. I--" Cam stopped Kai, placing his hand on his boyfriend's, "Don't... please. I already know. I've felt your pain through our merge; I don't know if you realize it... but it's always lingered in the background: you're a good brother. But sometimes you must let go; Bodi's the Chancellor; he's safe. I promise you that. Your heart is still partly silicon; if you struggle too much, you'll experience rejection."

"What? But it's been months? How is it possible that I can experience rejection?" Kai asked, horrified. "Rejection can happen days or months after a surgery takes place. Now relax. Maybe we should take a break." Cam ordered. He tried to make it sound like a suggestion, but they both knew he wasn't very good at pretending. Kai sighed, settling down. "Can you tell me about... medical jargon?" Kai asked. He laid down on the deck, and Cam took his pack off and withdrew a medical scanner, running a few tests. "You want to listen to me talk about the Omeocoon body..?" Cam asked, amazed. No one ever wanted to hear about physical stuff concerning Omeocoon biology. "No... I just like the sound of your voice." Kai smiled. Cam stared briefly before he absorbed Kai again; the bunny yelped as Cam enveloped him like a weighted blanket, and their goo moved together viciously.

Kai and Cam's faces still remained on their combined blob. Cam excitedly moved with Kai. The rapid pace of Kai's heart pounding in their blob made Cam continue. "Cam! I thought you wanted to stay on schedule?" Kai asked, "I changed my mind." Cam shuttered. Cam extruded his and Kai's communication devices with a simple thought, the devices separating from their blob with no effort at all. It was going to be a while.