At the Union American

Craig Crent sat at his desk in the Daily Record typing up a new story about the grave robbers in Mt. Pleasant cemetery.

... the police suspect the new vigilante in town, the Scarlet Avenger, is involved in the robberies but have no evidence one way or the other. However, a passerby says he saw the caped figure gas the robbers, which corroborates the story told by the criminals now in custody.

Craig's phone rang. He answered it.

"Hello, Craig Crent here."

"Craig? This is Linus Trent, publisher of the Union American. I'd like to talk to you about a job."

"Really?"

"Absolutely. You've been doing dynamite work at the Daily Record and we could use you here at my paper. If you are interested, be here at 1pm."

"Will do," said Craig as he heard the line click and the dial tone return.

"The Union American is across town," he said to himself. "If I'm going to be there at 1pm I better hurry."

He quickly put on his hat and dashed out of the office. About thirty minutes later, Craig walked into the Union American. It was a tall building owned by the newspaper's publisher, Linus Trent. The publisher's office was on the tenth floor. Craig took the elevator up.

As he stepped off the lift, he saw none of the usual chaos common to an active newsroom. In fact he saw no evidence of a newsroom at all. Just a beige carpet and a long hallway with people's name on them.

"This must be the administrative floor," said Craig as he gazed at the names and titles on his door. Mason Potter, Marketing director, Rob Ogier, Sales director, and Harry Edwards, Circulation coordinator. At the end of the corridor was Linus Trent's office.

Craig knocked on the door.

"Come in," said a voice from the office.

The reporter opened the door and saw the publisher of the Union American stand up. He was thin and fit, wearing a dark suit, nicely tailored. A white dress shirt and a red necktie completed his attire.

In front of Linus was the desk he had been working at. He stepped out from behind it as Craig stepped into the room.

"Craig," said Trent. "Glad you could make it."

"My pleasure," said the reporter. "I'd like to hear what you have to say."

They shook hands. "Well," Linus began, "it was pretty much what I told you on the phone. I'm looking to hire you."

"What would be my responsibilities?"

"Reporting on events in the city, like you do for the Record, but with less emphasis on Cerulean."
"So pretty much the same job. For the same salary?"

"No, I was thinking of paying you $35 a week. And if circulation increases, then I'll pay $40."
"That's very generous. Let me think about it."

"Of course. If you decide to come onboard, I'll show you around the newsroom."

They shook hands again and Craig left. As he was leaving the building he noticed a large black Oldsmobile parked across the street.

"Nice car. It's probably Trent's," the reporter mused. "He's got a driver too." Craig studied the man behind the wheel of the car. He was of Asian descent, most likely Chinese or Japanese.

Clearly the Union American was making money. But could he really leave the Daily Record? If he did, he'd probably never see Dolores again. But did he really have a chance with her? He didn't know. He would definitely have to think about it.