ᴄʜ-18 ɪɴᴠɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ

As Dunk descended the stairs the next morning, the aroma of breakfast greeted him warmly, wrapping around him like a comforting embrace. Mrs. Natachai and Dnie were already seated at the table, their faces illuminated by soft morning light filtering in through the windows.

Mrs. Natachai: "Good morning, Dunk. Sleep well?"

Dunk nodded, offering a tired yet genuine smile as he took his seat at the table.

Dunk: "Yeah, thanks. What's for breakfast?"

Mrs. Natachai: "Pancakes, your favorite."

Dunk's eyes lit up at the mention of pancakes, a small spark of excitement igniting within him despite the weight of his thoughts.

As they began to eat, Mrs. Natachai turned to Dunk with a gentle smile, her expression one of fond anticipation.

Mrs. Natachai: "You know, Dunk, your birthday is coming up tomorrow."

Dunk's fork paused mid-air, a flicker of surprise dancing in his eyes as he realized he had almost forgotten.

Dunk: "Oh, right. I almost forgot."

Mrs. Natachai: "Well, don't worry. We'll have a small celebration here at home. You should invite your friends over tomorrow evening."

Dunk's thoughts drifted to his friends, a sense of warmth blooming within him at the prospect of spending his birthday surrounded by those he cared about. But before he could respond, Dnie chimed in, her voice filled with excitement.

Dnie: "And I'll invite my friends too! It'll be so much fun!"

Dunk couldn't help but smile at his sister's enthusiasm, a sense of gratitude swelling within him for the family he had been blessed with. As they continued to eat, Dunk's heart felt lighter, the weight of his worries momentarily lifted by the simple joys of family and friendship.

After a day spent in classes, Dunk reunited with his friends, the familiar faces bringing a sense of comfort amid the chaos of school life. As they walked together, Dunk took a deep breath, steeling himself for the conversation ahead.

Dunk: "Hey, guys. So, I was thinking... I'm having a birthday party tomorrow. You're all invited, of course."

Pond and the others exchanged excited glances, their anticipation palpable as they awaited Dunk's invitation.

Force: "Awesome! Where's it gonna be?"

Dunk shrugged, a sheepish smile playing on his lips.

Dunk: "Just at home. Nothing fancy."

Book, ever the observant one, spoke up next, his voice tinged with curiosity.

Book: "Hey, are you gonna invite Joong?"

Dunk's expression faltered for a moment, uncertainty clouding his features.

Dunk: "I... I'm not sure. Probably not."

Pond's brow furrowed with concern as he regarded Dunk.

Pond: "Are you sure about that, Dunk? He's in our class, after all."

Dunk nodded, his gaze drifting to the ground as he wrestled with his thoughts.

Dunk: "Yeah, I know. But... things have been kinda weird lately. I don't think I want him there."

The group fell silent for a moment, the weight of Dunk's words hanging in the air between them. But soon, the conversation shifted, and Pond turned to Dunk with a mischievous glint in his eye.

Pond: "What about Mai? You gonna invite her?"

Dunk felt a blush creep into his cheeks at the mention of Mai's name, his heart skipping a beat at the thought of her joining his birthday celebration.

Dunk: "Uh, yeah. I mean, I was planning to. Is... Is that okay?"

Pond grinned, nudging Dunk playfully as they walked.

Pond: "Of course it is, Dunk. It'll be great to have her there."

Heart pounding with nervous anticipation, Dunk made his way over to where Mai was standing, a hopeful smile lighting up his face.

Dunk: "Hey, Mai. Um, I was wondering if you'd like to come to my birthday party tomorrow?"

Mai's eyes widened with surprise, a warm smile spreading across her features.

Mai: "Really? I'd love to!"

Dunk's heart soared at her enthusiastic response, relief flooding through him as he realized she was genuinely interested in attending.

Dunk: "Great! That's awesome. Oh, and, um... you can bring a couple of friends too, if you want. The more, the merrier, right?"

Mai's smile widened at the invitation, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

Mai: "Thanks, Dunk! I'll definitely do that. It's gonna be so much fun!"

As Dunk watched Mai walk away, a sense of joy filled his chest, the prospect of spending his birthday with Mai and her friends filling him with a newfound sense of anticipation. With a spring in his step, Dunk rejoined his friends, his mind already buzzing with plans for the celebration to come.

Dunk's steps faltered as he caught sight of Joong lingering near the school gates, uncertainty tugging at his thoughts. He hesitated for a moment, torn between his own reservations and the nagging reminder of his mother's words.

Despite his misgivings, Dunk approached Joong, a forced smile on his lips as he extended the invitation.

Dunk: "Hey, Joong. Um... I wanted to ask if you'd like to come to my birthday party tomorrow."

Joong's face lit up with excitement at the unexpected invitation, but Dunk couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that settled in the pit of his stomach.

Joong: "Really? That sounds great, Dunk! I'd love to come."

Dunk hesitated for a moment before speaking, his words tinged with uncertainty as he tried to gauge Joong's reaction.

Dunk: "Are you sure you want to come...?"

Joong's expression remained resolute, his determination unwavering as he met Dunk's gaze with a reassuring smile.

Joong: "Of course, Dunk. I wouldn't miss it for anything."

Despite Dunk's lingering doubts, he couldn't deny the sincerity in Joong's words, a sense of gratitude washing over him at Joong's unwavering support. Reluctantly, he offered Joong a small nod of acceptance, silently acknowledging his presence at the upcoming event.

Joong: "Hey, Dunk. Heading home?"

Dunk hesitates for a moment, his discomfort evident in his expression.

Dunk: "Um, yeah. I was just going to walk alone."

Joong: "Mind if I join you? We can chat on the way."

Despite Dunk's initial refusal, Joong persisted, his insistence unwavering as he attempted to sway Dunk's decision.

Joong: "Come on, Dunk. It's no trouble at all. I'll drop you home, and we can chat along the way."

Dunk hesitated, torn between his discomfort and Joong's persistent kindness. He knew Joong meant well, but the thought of spending more time alone with him only fueled his unease.

Dunk: "I... I'm not sure, Joong. I was actually thinking of walking alone today."

But Joong's persuasive charm was hard to resist, his gentle smile coaxing Dunk to reconsider.

Joong: "It's getting late, Dunk. I'll make sure you get home safely. Plus, we can talk about your birthday plans."

As they walk side by side, Dunk can't shake the feeling of unease that lingers in the back of his mind. He wonders if inviting Joong to his birthday party was the right decision, but pushes the thought aside as they continue down the sidewalk together.