Selling Change

The time arrived for Asad to face his Alliance colleagues in the grand assembly of nations. As he entered the assembly, he was met with loud applause and Asad thought: "I hope this applause is the herald of a good voting outcome. However, even though the representatives he spoke to face to face were in favour of reconciliation with the West, they would only agree to reconcile if the Western Alliance eliminated microchipping humans."

"As I expected, none of them could stomach such a perceived abuse of their privacy. Not even the accepted certainty of Armageddon can change this single point of contention. Forced peace through a big brother society is simply not acceptable in their minds."

"The French, Ha! They had always been against aligning with the East or West. The complete self-reliance of the French Government makes has always made me uncomfortable. They stay in the middle and work both sides for profit, and my gut feeling warns me that something or someone terrible is pulling strings behind the scenes. I know every leader in the world has a master plan, but what will the French do when they cannot profit because there are no customers left?"

Asad put those negative thoughts away and settled in for a long day of opinions and debate. He started the ball rolling with his scripted speech on the advantages of joining the West and unifying the world into a single power."

"Asad voiced his beliefs about the positive outcomes for the East if they made changes to government policy and gave it every milligram of effort and passion that remained within him. He put it all out there, short of pleading with his colleagues to do what was right so all their descendants could have a future.

At last, there was just one point he could add. He said: "My friends and colleagues. Many of you know of me, and some have a close history with me. You know I have always been a 'hardliner' when it comes to the West. I was the most influential advocator when reinforcing Anti-Western perceptions."

"We have suffered more than a century and a half of hate perception brainwashed into us, but the time has come to cast off that excess baggage. I am trying my hardest to change perception in the time we have left."

"If I'm not successful in convincing you that the route we are on is fatal, then, when you go home tonight, look at your families, your children, and grandchildren. Realise that a negative vote here today will result in the end for all of them."

Asad Said: "My colleagues, there is an even bigger problem. I have seen with my own eyes, the marvellous android that claims to be the last of our ancient ancestors. I know people, and I sense he is honest. His name is Carl, and he is here to help us, but we must give him the time he needs to do it."

"Out there in space, is a terrible Enemy that is coming for us. If we destroy ourselves. If we are not here to carry the torch as one species when the enemy arrives, then our own foolishness will have let them win because of our antiquated policies and prejudice."

Asad measured his audience and realising he given his best, said: "I will ask you to take a few minutes before you debate and vote. Ask yourself how it is possible for an angry old man like me can change my views."

"You have all seen what I saw on my visit to the Moon. All of you feel affection for those closest to you, so open your minds to the unlimited possibilities and potential that our Solar System has to offer. Your descendants have the right to a future."

Asad pointed at the ceiling and said: "The technology already exists."

"Asad looked at time on his AI-com and said: "The item up for debate today, is: 'Do we set aside our hatred and join with the West and the Luna Colony to strive for the common future, or do we turn away and follow the route that leads to conquest, war, death and the real possibility of total annihilation."