The Search

Next morning, Matt woke to the unadorned walls of his apartment in the single men's complex.

By the time he showered and dressed, Matt was feeling human again and as he entered the lounge, the aroma of cooking breakfast flooded his senses. He followed the smell to the kitchen and found Carl making breakfast.

Matt exclaimed: "Carl? I thought you were going to hang out at the President's apartment and meet me at the terminal."

Carl turned with a bow and said: "Good morning, Matt. There is nothing more I can do at the apartment. President Omar went to his office early and the ladies went somewhere for a breakfast engagement."

"Before they left, Jasmine asked me to come and look after you. She said you were quite upset when you left them, yesterday. Well, I thought a good breakfast is what you need most."

Matt said: "What do you mean by "upset?"

Carl said: "She told me how you took one look at Sharon and just walked past them and out the door without a word."

Matt said: "Oh."

Carl said: "Right, so after you eat and put on your spacesuit, I think I should recount the events of last night. After which, we need to go up to Defender to carry out the captain's weekly walkthrough. We are doing decks twelve, to sixteen."

Matt sighed and said: "Telling me how happy Sharon is with Ahmad Abbas is not what I had in mind for breakfast."

Carl said: "Sarcasm is not your strong suit, Matt. It shows me you are currently feeling angry and bitter. That's not a good look for a spaceship captain."

Matt said: "Of course, you are right. Sharon made her choice, so I need to put this behind me."

Matt shook himself and said: "I am now officially more interested in getting up to Defender. It is essential to maintain standards, especially when I'm the one making policy."

Matt seated himself at the small table and Carl placed a plate in front of him. To Matt's eyes, the food looked like culinary divinity, and he savoured every mouthful to the last.

Feeling sated. he asked: "How can you make such simple food taste so great?"

Carl bowed acknowledgement and said: "I have no idea, maybe you are just very hungry, but I really enjoy cooking. Maybe I was a chef when I was alive."

Then Carl said: "I have requested DEF-01 to be at the military space port in one hour, Sir. If you get ready, I will bring you up to date on the events of yesterday, then we can leave for Defender."

Matt nodded, washed down his food with Luna grown fresh orange juice then dashed to his room to don his spacesuit.

Feeling completely refreshed and full, Matt said: "I'm all ears, Carl."

Carl said: "I had a meeting with President Suleiman yesterday afternoon after being ordered to go there by President Aziz."

Surprised, Matt asked: "Really?"

Carl nodded and continued: "Asad told me in no uncertain terms, that I was obligated to fix a person that I had broken. His words forced me to self-evaluate and I realised he was correct."

Matt said: "If you can make a mistake, then there is still hope for the rest of us."

Carl could not ignore Matt's gibe and said: "I was so focussed on the greater goals, that I neglected to see that a few careless words from me left Sharon believing that I manipulated her eleven-year-old self, causing her to grow false feelings for you." Matt expression darkened, but he remained silent so Carl could finish.