Defender

Matt, Josh, and Sharon watched the news channels for the rest of the night and next day as the world went crazy over the existence of Carl and the realisation that he was the herald of a much larger problem than Armageddon on Earth. That night, it was hard for the friends to sleep, but the next morning finally arrived.

Carl stood above Matts bed in the President's apartment, and he leaned over and gave Matt's shoulder a gentle shake. Matt felt so tired from 'almost sleeping' for half the night and he protested Carl's intrusion saying: "Go away; I need more sleep."

Carl said: "Wake up, we have a training session. Sensei Josh is waiting for us in the main function hall. Come on."

Matt growled out a complaint but pulled on his spacesuit and followed. In the grand reception hall, (Fish tank hall) they found Sensei Joshua Davis warming up by performing several complex Kata (Choreographed flowing movements designed to focus body and mind).

Joshua finished his Kata and waited for the men to join him. They faced off to each other and bowed respectfully then Joshua said: "This place is amazing. The rooms are seven stars at least. I always wondered how the other half lived."

Matt said: "Did anyone show you the fish tank?

Josh answered: "The first lady, and Mr. Aziz, gave me the personal tour. We will leave the wall closed as the sight will interfere with our concentration. Carl, it is your first day training with us. Your android body needs no warmup, but I want you to flow through the complex Kata forms anyway as they will focus your mind and help tune it to your body."

The early morning hours passed, and the training session grew rigorous, and with the protection afforded by their Impervium suits in full protection mode. They fought with violence, speed, and force. Two hours into the training session, Omar, Jasmine, and Sharon arrived to watch.

In a quiet voice tinged with excitement Omar said to Jasmine and Sharon: "Witness the three most dangerous men in the Solar System. If anyone can ensure our future, it must be these men."

Carl had started sluggishly and uncoordinated but quickly improved as he fine-tuned his bodies movements. After about fifteen minutes, Joshua increased the pace and two hours later, arms and legs were flying everywhere. Matt fought as he never had before, especially when he became aware that Sharon was watching. Suddenly, his tiredness evaporated.

Joshua smiled as he knew that having Sharon watch was just what Matt needed. Seeing her gave him the motivation to reach deep and find that extra ten per cent. Suddenly, Matt landed his first-ever intentional strike that impacted Joshua's solar plexus. Joshua's feet left the ground with the force of Matt's side kick, and he flew backward three metres to crash onto the polished floor.

Carl and Matt were so stunned, that both raced to Josh and helped him to his feet. Matt apologised, but Joshua laughed and sent him to the side lines to recover his concentration, saying: "That's enough for you today. If you keep this up, I will need a doctor."

Matt bowed out as instructed and retired to watch Joshua concentrate on Carl's immense speed and power. Even with Carls restriction protocols locked in, his Android body was still stronger and faster than any bio-human. Joshua revelled in pure delight as a thought struck him: "Finally, I can attack with no fear of hurting my opponent."

That meant that Josh could strike with full force as he did against the attackers in the restaurant on Earth and Matt, when they were both wearing fully charged spacesuits.

A short time later, Joshua disengaged, and the combat stopped immediately. He and Carl bowed to each other and then to Matt.

Josh ordered: "Matt... re-join us for the bow-out." Matt rose to his feet and stood before his sensei, beside Carl and bowed.