§§Chapter 1§§

✓✓✓Shin-nae's POV
IT was another school morning in Calabar. I sighed. I'm just not ready for another bad day. For some reason noone liked me since I had a different complexion, accent and language. But I could also speak English and Pidgin. I didn't know why I was different but it didn't seat well with almost everyone I know except Bilkisu, Esphine, Dicey, Sampson and Obinna(and of course the 'family' where I found myself in). They accepted me since I came as I am (i.e my friends) but even with them by my side my life was still tough and I was practically a loner. Something that it seemed time and effort just couldn't fix.

After my morning routines I put on my uniform of a white long sleeve shirt, a green flay skirt and white socks and sneakers with green outlines. I grabbed my black school bag and made my way to the dining where Helen was warming up left over jellof rice and diced dry meat for breakfast.

Helen was like my mother only she made it clear we weren't related. I wasn't even allowed to call her aunty just Helen. I got used to it. I've lived with her since I could remember but we never shared that Mother-Daughter bond. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. (I grew to accept things the way I met them and no longer was I  curious to find out Who?, What?, Where?, When?, Why?, How? and all of that.)

I sat, said a prayer and drew a plate of food to myself. "Helen Good morning" "Shin-nae Nae You're up early. It's good" "Hmm". I dug in as Divinefavour, Miracle and ThankGod came to the table "Shin-nae Nae Good morning" they greeted in unison "Yeah morning"
They were Helen's children. Divinefavour was 14, Miracle was 12 and ThankGod was 10. By the way I'm 16. But apparently no one in this house knows my age. And yes Shin-nae Nae is my first name. My middle name's Karma.

As Helen sat down she asked "Where's your father??". Miracle ran to a side of the house and screamed "Daddy!!!!" Then she scrammed as Gabriel came down. He's Helen's Husband. "Good morning Daddy" That was the kids "Morning" "Good Morning" That was Helen. He didn't respond. "Gabriel Good Morning" "What's good about this morning" He spat at me "Everything" I answered as I said a an after prayer and stood to go wash off my dirty dish. He grumbled under his breath. Something about me being an ungrateful yet enduring leech. It hurt. But then again. It was the Anya family. Nothing good could come out of here.
He peered at the food on the table and looked away "Daddy won't you eat??" "I'm okay". He said and walked into the parlour to watch the morning news. Helen snickered "More for me" as she drew his plate to herself.

I quickly rinsed off my plate and thanked Helen and Gabriel for the meal as I approached Helen for my TP (and Eating Monies plus extra just in case) which she gave and I slipped out of the house. After about a 30 minute walk from my street to Tinapa Junction I took a bus straight to Axari. As I entered the bus I let out a shaky breath and closed my eyes to see if my headache would pass away with time. But it didn't and it didn't help that people at the bus were looking at me weirdly but I was used to it now. After some reasonably long time I got to Axari. I got down and paid the driver #250. Then I picked a bike down to my school. And that cost another #200.

As usual both the bus driver and the bike man looked at me as if saying 'Wetin be this??' but at this point it was kinda normal.
When I reached my school Royale Care International Schools I walked in carefully cos it had a shaky gate. Immediately I walked in people zoom on me like 'Who be this na??'. Some panic, some snicker but some smirk as if saying 'She's different. That's cool.'. Those were my friends. The first to notice me was Sampson and we do the bro handshake and hug.
"It's been sooooooo long."
He raised his brows 🤨🤨
"We saw each other on Friday"
"I know but I just missed being among normal people"
We laughed.
Then the rest of the gang came. What followed was a series of handshakes, hugs, 'guy howfa na??', 'wassup??' 'how your area na??', gists, exchange of chocolates and lots more.
Since all of us go to church and few of us were actually Christians (there's a difference) (except Bilkisu) we said a quick prayer and headed to class.

As I headed towards the halls to my class (my friends had gone ahead since we were spread abroad. Some in Arts, Science, Commercials and Management, Technicals, or even  Social Sciences. It's the same SSS 3 but different class rooms, teachers and timetables. I was in Arts and I was heading to my class when I ) I heard a girl snicker as I passed "Shin-nae Nae Wetin bring you come Nigeria ehh??, Like now you dey even struggle our school with us ehhh?? Who you think say you be ehh?? Talk am make we me know naw." Her girls hailed. I  stopped walking and turned "I been dey this school teytey how come na now wey you wan start your own talk?? Hmmm? Matter wey don die finish na you wan bring am up again. Abby I don see say you you too like trouble and me I no get your strength so rest"

Abby pushed herself off the wall and came close to me talking and gesturing. "You dey mad?? You dey craze?? You dey chance hitgirl?? Abi you wan collect?? I go beat you here eh put you for ground no body go know na only your body go tell you idiot." I looked at her and gestured "Na only mouth wey you get you no fit do me anything you get. You no fit try am you grab? See Abby no capping That thing wey you think say you fit do me try am. You, you this girl by the time Im done with you you no go fit recognise yourself but me I no want vawlence you get?? So rest??" She raged but since fighting wasn't allowed in the school she said "Outside the gate we go meet. Idiot no do leave this country. Mama you no get, papa you no get. Otilo. You no even sabi who you be and you think say you dey ready for fight. Dey play. I go give you back to back your mind go dey. Mumu!" She laughed to herself as she and her gang walked past me. I stood there numb 😶. She had successfully reminded me of everything I didn't want to remember.  But still I adjusted my bag and dragged myself to class.

During the short break I pondered on what Abby Ibe had said. She was right though. I had no idea who my parents were and all Helen had told me was that my mother entrusted me into her care and that soon she would be back to take me with her. Then Helen warned me to never ask her about it again. I sighed deeply and rested my head on my desk till the short break was over.

When it was properly Break Time I headed downstairs and found my friends then we went to the plaza to get some snacks. Then we sat by the hallways to eat. Esphine fished out her phone and began using it. She couldn't stay without her phone and I feared for her cos phones were not allowed here. But then again who cares?? We all fished out our phones. "I saw Abby Ibe today" I slipped out casually as if meeting her didn't affect me at all
"What did she say??" Obinna asked.
"She asked me to return to where I came from but then again she also reminded me that I didn't know my parents." Bilkisu looked at me sadly "What did YOU say??" "Nothing. I was too short of words and besides she's right" "Why won't Helen just tell you how you came about eh?? What's wrong with her??" That was Esphine. I didn't reply. I just sat there and stared at the kids playing football on the field. Well that was until the ball flew and almost hit me but Dicey caught it on point like a goalkeeper. That was reawakening.
"Are you hurt??" Yes by Abby's words
"No I'm okay. Thank you Dicey"
"You're welcome"
"I'll just head on inside. Will anyone join me??" They shook their heads on the negative. All except Sampson.
I stood up to head inside and Sampson joined me. After walking around old unkept hallways in silence I asked lowly but he heard me  "How do I find my parents?" He smiled sadly "I don't know Shin-nae Nae you'd have to be really clever and hatch up a devious scheme to be able to get them to come. But a more important question is if your parents happen to appear here out of nowhere would you follow them just like that?? Will they be willing to answer all the questions you have?? Besides how are they?? Would you be able to live with them?? Won't they want to take you out of Nigeria back to North Korea? Would you like that??" I stopped walking and turned to him."Your probably right but how will I be able to defend myself when issues of parenting come up??" He offered me a hug which I gladly accepted. "God will make a way. And at the end of all this you'll be celebrating. Okay so just breathe". I nodded against his chest as the tears slipped. He kissed my forehead "You'll be fine. I know you will."