Chapter 17 - Confronting Origins

"Come on Uub, it's time to get up! Today is the big day!" A gentle voice calls from outside.

Uub awakens from a deep sleep in a cozy little bed. Rubbing his eyes open, Uub is slow to recognise where he could possibly be. As he takes the covers off jumps off the bed onto the rough floor below, a odd yet *familiar* terrain is felt by his exposed feet.

Uub looks around the room, the walls adorned with simple decorations and familiar patterns. The furniture, although basic, emanates a sense of warmth and nostalgia. He scratches his head, trying to make sense of the place, when the tantalizing aroma of sizzling bacon wafts through the air, capturing his attention.

His stomach growls in response, and without further hesitation, Uub rushes towards the source of the delicious scent. He pushes aside a curtain of leaves, revealing a scene that bewilders him. Before him lies the village where he was born and raised, its quaint huts and lively atmosphere unchanged.

"Come on, Uub, it's time to get up! Today is the big day!" a gentle voice calls out from a distance. The voice triggers a cascade of memories within Uub's mind, as he recognizes it as one from his past – a voice filled with love and encouragement.

As Uub navigates through the village, the residents greet him warmly, their faces radiating familiarity. He sees children playing, elders engaged in conversation, and the vibrant colors of the marketplace. It's as if time has rewound, and he's reliving a moment from his earlier years.

As he approaches a cozy little hut, the door swings open, and there stands a figure with a kind smile – an elderly woman who seems to hold a special place in Uub's heart.

"Uub, my dear, you're just in time for breakfast," she says, gesturing towards a table adorned with an array of delicious dishes. The aroma of freshly cooked food fills the air, triggering a flood of memories associated with shared meals and laughter.

Uub hesitates, a mixture of confusion and nostalgia washing over him. The village feels so real, yet he knows something is amiss. He couldn't possibly be back home, right?

"Honey, you have to eat up! Today is the big day you've spent many weeks preparing for," the woman would say as she plops five pieces of warm, sizzling pieces of bacon onto the makeshift plate on the table.

"Mom, what are you even talking about?"

Turning around with a look of concern on her face, Uub's mother, named Hedora, set down her pan and grasped Uub's forehead. "Uub, are you sick? Have you come down with a fever? You don't honestly remember what today is?"

Uub will only be left in silent curiosity as his mother continues, "Tomorrow is the 28th World Martial Arts tournament! How could you possibly not remember all that training you've done with King Chappa?"

Suddenly, it all clicked for Uub. This was the day he left his village, the day he would travel to Satan City and prepare for the tournament...

His mother's concern deepens as she scans his face for any signs of illness. "Uub, you've been looking forward to this for weeks. Are you feeling alright?" she inquires, her worry evident in her eyes.

Uub, now grounded in the reality of the moment, shakes his head, dispelling the lingering disorientation. "No, Mom, I'm fine. It's just... everything feels so strange, like I'm in a dream," he confesses, trying to make sense of the conflicting emotions within him.

Hedora, reassured by his response, gives him a gentle smile. "Well, dreams can be odd sometimes. But you need to eat up, we're not done on this planet yet" she encourages, picking up the pan and placing another piece of bacon on his plate.