Chapter 14 - A Brief Moment of Reprieve

"Trunks! Vegeta!"

Bulma, watching from her flying transport, descended quickly and landed beside Gohan, her eyes wide with shock at the sight before her. The once mighty Prince of all Saiyans looked like a mere shell of his former self, his Super Saiyan 4 fur scorched and his face bearing the marks of a fierce battle.

"What happened here?" Bulma exclaimed, her hands trembling as she reached out to support Vegeta. Gohan, still processing the shock of finding Vegeta alive, looked up at Bulma with a mix of emotions.

"He... he saved us," Gohan managed to say, his voice a mix of awe and confusion. "Vegeta came from a portal and launched himself towards Cell. The impact of their collision is what we're standing in right now."

Bulma's eyes widened even further as she absorbed the information. The gravity of Vegeta's sacrifice struck her, and her concern for him deepened. She glanced over at both versions of her son along with Gohan's brother, still unconscious on the ground.

"We need to get them all back to Capsule Corp.," Bulma said, her voice determined. Gohan nodded, and together they carefully loaded Vegeta onto Bulma's transport, making sure to secure Future-Trunks, Present-Trunks, and Son Goten as well.

As they flew back to Capsule Corp, Gohan couldn't help but steal glances at Vegeta's battered form. For almost the entire time Gohan has known him, the Saiyan prince had always been a complex character, a mix of arrogance and pride. Gohan knew it had been around a decade since he had decidedly changed for the better, yet in this moment, Gohan saw a gleaming example of that side of him—the side that would sacrifice everything for the ones he cared about.

Back at Capsule Corp, Bulma worked tirelessly to provide medical assistance to the fallen Saiyans along with Kibito Kai supporting her with the very limited amount of energy he retained from the fight with Cell. Despite the damages from Cell's attack, the excellent medical equipment produced by Bulma's company thankfully remained untouched. The gravity of the situation hung heavy in the air as Gohan, Bulma, and Kibito Kai watched over the unconscious warriors.

Days passed, and tension lingered in the air of Capsule Corp's medical facility. The beeping of the machines monitoring Vegeta's critical condition was a constant reminder of the battle's toll. Future-Trunks, Present-Trunks, and Goten, still unconscious, showed signs of slow improvement, but Vegeta remained in a deep slumber.

As the sun began to set one evening, the room was bathed in a warm, fading light. Future-Trunks stirred, his eyes fluttering open. Present-Trunks and Goten soon followed suit, their groggy gazes meeting one another in a shared confusion. Gohan, who had been keeping vigil by their bedside, couldn't contain his relief.

"You guys are finally awake," Gohan exclaimed, a smile breaking across his face. The three Saiyan warriors exchanged glances, realizing the gravity of the situation. Their memories of the battle flooded back, and their expressions turned serious.

"What happened to my dad?" Future-Trunks asked, his voice strained with concern.

"He saved us," Gohan replied, his gaze shifting to the still-unconscious Vegeta. "He sacrificed himself to protect all of you. It was... unexpected."

Future-Trunks, Present-Trunks, and Goten exchanged somber looks, a silent understanding passing between them. Their thoughts were with the Saiyan prince who had fought so fiercely for them.

"We need to do something," Future-Trunks declared, determination in his eyes.

Gohan nodded in agreement. "I'm going to visit Korin. He might have some senzu beans that could help speed up the recovery process. You all stay here and rest."