Chapter 18

"King Jaehaerys Targaryen.." Rhaenyra murmured as she looked away from the queen who averted her eyes down and thought for a moment. 

"You know your family well." She eyed the girl before her who she noticed breathes heavily. "He was called the old king, wasn't he?"

Rhaenyra nodded, "Yes...your grace." 

Another moment of silence invaded the space between them that Alicent could be sure her thoughts are almost heard. She wanted to know what is currently inside the princess head and if she too was thinking about the same thing as the queen is. She sighed through her nose and spoke once again, "Come, eat with me." She stood up, causing the princess to look up at her and follow her from standing up. 

Now sitting in a much more crowded and open area, the princess and the queen finally hit off sitting down and eating a lemon cake with a cup of wine, but while eating, Caspain approached them with a subtle smile on his face. Looking pleased to see the princess.

"My lady," He called, causing both women to look at him. 

"Lord Caspain." Rhaenyra spoke, turning all her attention on him.

"Your grace." The blonde locks bowed his head in curtsy to which Alicent only responded with a nod.

"How are my ladies so far?" He asked confidently yet humbly

"Quite well, thank you." Rhaenyra replied. She continued, "What are you doing here?"

He took another step, intertwining his hands on his back, "Father and I were just passing by and I happened to see you here along with the queen. I couldn't resist, I had to approach your royal highness." He laughed lightly causing Rhaenyra to smile in judgement of how he sounded silly. They spoke to each other as if the queen wasn't there and that's what's running inside the queen's mind. How she felt disrespected all of a sudden. It was just a normal conversation between the son's hand and the princess, her step-daughter, why does she feel displeased by it?

"The participants for the tourney tomorrow will arrive in a matter of minutes, your grace." Alicent was pulled back from her thoughts when she realized that the young man is talking to her, informing her. She responded with a nod and smile before placing down her cup and glancing at Rhaenyra

"I suppose we shall go ourselves and meet them, I have time." The queen said and stood up, giving the boy, Caspain, a forced smile who was waiting on her step-daughter. She looked down to Rhaenyra, "Princess." 

With that, Rhaenyra stood up and smiled at Caspain who stepped out of the way and walked beside her with the queen walking ahead of them towards near the transportation by the sea. Poking the inside of her cheek by the tip of her tongue, the queen shook her head. Alicent tried to keep her mouth shut during the walk while the princess and Caspain talked behind her about the tournament on the next day.

"Would you be doing the honor of giving me the favor tomorrow, princess?" Caspain smiled beside the silver head.

Rhaenyra replied with a smirk, "My uncle will be representing me as heir tomorrow for the heir's tourney. Am I still able to give another?" 

The man pursed his lip as he thought before nodding, "I think so, my lady." 

Rhaenyra softly chuckled, "Aren't you going to represent your house? Laurent, right? Since your father is the hand of my father then he gets to play at the Hand's Tourney, leaving you to play for your house." 

"What a clever princess you are, my lady. Your uncle Daemon shouldn't have underestimated you that night at dinner." He grinned. This time Rhaenyra couldn't help but to let out a laugh while shaking her head, "Can we not talk about my brute uncle, lord Caspain?"