𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 | for the first time

it's just like seeing her for the first time again,
- mac demarco 

-

SIX years later, Thomas approached a familiar park in New York City downtown that he once was at many years ago. He looked around, his eyes scanning the trees and those who were around him as he searched for the one person he was looking for—the only person who was worth traveling all this way to see.

And then, he was spotted: A few yards away was Newt, who sat on a bench. He was wearing a brown corduroy jacket and a pair of jeans, along with a small, cream-colored tote bag that rested on his shoulder. He adjusted it once every minute or two, since it was constantly slipping off while he scrolled on his phone.

Thomas slowly began to walk forwards, each step bringing him closer to Newt, making his palms get all sweaty. At the sound of the footsteps, Newt's head slowly tilted up, revealing the face that Thomas hadn't seen in way too long.

Newt smiled sweetly, "Tommy," He called softly.

Thomas smiled back, "Newt," He picked up his pace, almost running, as Newt stood up, and finally embraced him in a long hug.

"I missed you so much," Newt said, burying his face into Thomas's shoulder.

"I missed you a lot, too," Thomas patted Newt's hair with his hand.

⥃☕︎⥂

"You called me," Newt mentioned quietly, staring down at the warm cup of coffee that was sitting on the table.

"What?" Thomas asked, not catching what Newt said.

"You called me, Thomas. You called me five years ago." Newt answered, finally lifting his head to make eye contact with Thomas.

"Oh," Thomas said, now looking down, "I—I had gotten into Cambridge, so... I don't know, I wanted to get in contact with you. I had heard from Minho that you were going back to London for college, and I just thought—" He paused, "I just thought that maybe you'd want to see me, and we could try things out. Since we'd actually be in the same area, and all. But when I called you, you didn't pick up. And then I called again, and again, and—it seemed helpless. So I stopped calling."

Newt's face crumbled, "Tommy..." He reached across the table, and took Thomas's hands into his, "I was—a coward. I saw my phone ringing, and buzzing on my nightstand over and over again, but I didn't pick up. I just sat there, watching it, and didn't do a single fucking thing, because—I was scared. To face you. To hear your voice for the first time in a year. And to also tell you that I was going to San Francisco State at the last minute."

"God," Thomas sighed, "We were so fucking stupid back then."

Newt chuckled lightly, "I know, Tommy. I know," 

-

a/n

this epilogue did not go how i really wanted it to but wtv!! we're doneeee i loved this story sm!
don't forget to read the planning process + reflection<3