The Gallery Of Wychwoods Horrors

The fog swirled like a funeral shroud, clinging to Edward Mallory's coat as he stood before the grim facade of Bethlem Royal Hospital

The fog swirled like a funeral shroud, clinging to Edward Mallory's coat as he stood before the grim facade of Bethlem Royal Hospital. Others called it Bedlam, and it suited the name; the shrieks and moans echoing from within made it a chorus of mad souls. Yet, this wasn't what drew him here. He was an author, and like all writers, he sought a story – a dark, twisted tale that defied both morality and sanity. Tonight, he hoped to find that story locked within the mind of a madman.

"Mr. Mallory, I presume?" The guard had a face like curdled milk, wary eyes flicking over Edward as if expecting a fit.

"Yes," Edward said, adjusting his spectacles. "I have an appointment with the superintendent. Regarding Mr. Wychwood."

The guard's eyes widened a fraction, then he cleared his throat. "Very well then, sir. This way."

The halls echoed with despair. The stench of sweat, urine, and forgotten hope clung in the air. Edward shivered, an icy unease settling beneath the burning curiosity within. The superintendent's office was austere, smelling of old paper and the lingering scent of stale cigars.

"Mr. Mallory." The superintendent, a portly man with thinning hair, looked apprehensive. "You understand, this is highly unconventional. But the Wychwood case is...unique."

"I've come prepared," Edward pushed a hefty envelope across the desk. "A donation, and my written credentials. And most importantly, Wychwood himself has agreed to speak with me."

The superintendent eyed the envelope, then unrolled the crisp parchment within. A letter, signed in an intricate spidery scrawl: Alfred Wychwood.

"Remarkable," the superintendent murmured. "Very well then."

The cell was deep within Bedlam's bowels, lit by a single flickering oil lamp. It stank of madness and bodily fluids. In the shadows crouched a figure - Alfred Wychwood, once a rising star in London's artistic circles, now a pariah known for his "sculptures" – bodies of men, women, and even children, twisted into nightmarish parodies of life.

"Mr. Mallory," Wychwood purred, his voice laced with a disconcerting musicality. Rising, he stepped into the light. He was gaunt, but with an eerie grace. His eyes...they were deep pools, mirroring not madness, but an uncanny awareness.

"Please," Edward managed, forcing his hand to remain steady as he took out his notebook. "Tell me about...about your art."

Wychwood gave a low, throaty chuckle. "Art, you call it? Well, perhaps it is. You see, Mr. Mallory, the human body is a canvas. Pain, an exquisite paint. And with the right tools..." He gestured around him, and Edward realized with a jolt that the stains on the walls weren't filth, but dried blood.

Hours slipped away as Wychwood recounted his crimes. Not as a monster revelling in murder, but as an artist describing his greatest masterpieces. With each word, Edward felt the unease deepen, the chill in the cell becoming more than mere physical cold.