The Tell-Tale Heart Of Vengeance

It is said that vengeance is a dish best served cold, but I tell you there is no chill that can quell the searing fire of wrath once it has taken root in a man's soul

It is said that vengeance is a dish best served cold, but I tell you there is no chill that can quell the searing fire of wrath once it has taken root in a man's soul. Woe be unto him who is consumed by that unrelenting inferno, for it shall ravage his spirit until naught remains but bitter ashes and unquenchable despair.

This woeful truth was one I learned through bitter experience, and the memory of it haunts me still, an albatross forever hung about my neck. But I shall attempt to recount my dark tale, that others may take heed and escape my ruinous fate.

It began, as so many tragedies do, with love. Annabel was her name, a maiden fair with raven tresses and eyes of glittering emerald. Oh, how my heart sang with elation when her ruby lips curved in a cherubic smile meant only for me! Our courtship was a whirlwind of giddy euphoria and I fancied that the angels themselves must envy our bliss. Before long, I had secured her hand and we were to be wed.

Alas, I should have known it was all too perfect to last. For there was another who coveted my betrothed - Roderick Usher, a vile blackguard and the bane of my existence since boyhood. A more loathsome cur there never lived, and his soul was as black as his sable hair and piercing obsidian eyes.

With honeyed words and false flattery, that fiend ingratiated himself to my trusting Annabel. The dastardly Lothario sought to steal her affections and claim her for his own. When at last I confronted him about his dishonorable intentions, he merely laughed - a cruel, hollow sound, devoid of any human warmth.

"You pathetic fool," he sneered. "It is already too late. Sweet Annabel's heart belongs to me now. She has realized the truth - that you are nothing more than a mewling, milquetoast weakling unfit to be her husband. Save yourself the humiliation and break the engagement now, before she does it herself."

White hot rage boiled up inside me and it was all I could do not to throttle him where he stood. But no, if I resorted to brutish violence, it would only prove him right about my character. I had to be clever and expose his duplicity. Annabel was an angel, pure and virtuous. Surely she would see through his lies if I could but open her eyes to the truth.

Feigning calm, I looked my rival dead in his soulless shark's eyes. "I'll not dignify such baseless slander by arguing with you, Usher. Annabel's love for me is true and unshakable. We shall be wed on the morrow and live happily, while you languish in your resentment and rue the day you dare besmirched our honor."

With an effort of will, I turned on my heel and strode away, ignoring his scornful laughter echoing behind me. I did not realize it at the time, but that was the moment the first seeds of vengeance were planted in my breast. Had I but glimpsed even a fraction of the torment they would visit upon me, I would have fallen to my knees and wept.

But in my naïveté, I truly believed that the strength of my love would win the day. With a spring in my step and a song in my heart, I hastened to Annabel's home to speak to her one final time before our nuptials. As I approached the ivy-covered manse, I was puzzled to see all the windows were dark, though night had barely fallen. An inexplicable feeling of dread crept over me, raising the hairs on the back of my neck. Rushing inside, I called out for my beloved.