The Whisperering Heads, A Tale Of The Macarbe

The night was deathly still, as London was plunged into darkness under the dim amber glow of the gas lamps scattered along the narrow cobblestone streets

The night was deathly still, as London was plunged into darkness under the dim amber glow of the gas lamps scattered along the narrow cobblestone streets. A thin veil of fog drifted through the city, casting looping shadows that danced in the flickering light. Somewhere, Big Ben tolled eleven times, the deep, sonorous bells reverberating through the misty streets.

In a remote corner of the city stood the looming edifice of the city mortuary, a silent sentinel to the mysteries of mortality. Behind the wrought iron gates and beneath the flickering gas lamps, the mortuary kept its lonely vigil, little disturbed by the living.

Inside, the mortuary was steeped in shadows, the rooms lit only by the faint glow of candles and oil lamps. The atmosphere was heavy and oppressive, laden with the cloying scent of formaldehyde, decay and death. Victorian sensibilities dictated that grieving relatives were seldom allowed inside these chambers of morbidity. Thus, the dead were attended by the coroners and mortuary keepers alone.

On this night, a solitary figure was hunched over a desk in the far corner of the examination room. Dr Reginald Hargrave, coroner and anatomy lecturer, had been working for nine hours straight, poring over medical reports and dissection notes related to a recent spate of gruesome murders that had gripped the city.

The case was extraordinary, not only due to the violence inflicted upon the victims, but because of the bizarre and ritualistic nature of the killings. Over the past fortnight, the bodies of three local women had been discovered in the back-alleys of Whitechapel at different locations. Although from varying backgrounds, they appeared connected by the savage and meticulous manner in which they had been murdered and... dismembered.

The murderer's modus operandi was chillingly precise. All three victims had their heads cleanly severed from the neck by a single sweep of an extraordinarily sharp blade. Yet there were no other mutilations to the body. It was as though the killer had taken only the heads as macabre trophies, leaving behind the defiled corpses to be found by some hapless soul.

Dr Hargrave observed the mortal remains of the last two victims, slain just the night before. The bodies lay side by side on granite slabs in the mortuary's dissection room, pale and lifeless under the bright glare of the gas lamps. The skin already showed shades of alabaster white and faint purple, as the blush of life and vitality had drained rapidly from the corpses.

The doctor clasped his hands behind his back, his gaze moving clinically over the cadavers. Both women had been young - probably no more than thirty years old. One was a brunette, her features refined and delicate, marking her as perhaps a governess or tutor. The other, a petite blonde, most likely earned her living as a seamstress or shop attendant, based on her simple linen dress and calloused fingers. Such lives of potential, so cruelly cut short.

Dr Hargrave's eyes were then drawn to gruesome sight between the cadavers. Resting on wooden blocks were the severed heads belonging to the deceased women. They had been carefully laid to face upwards, mouths closed and eyes shut, as though they had simply fallen into quiet repose. Yet, the skin around the gaping neck wounds were ragged and torn indicating the immense brutality with which they had been separated from the body. Dark, coagulated blood encrusted the ragged edges, contrasting violently against the alabaster hues of the skin.