Curtains Close

𝕂𝕒𝕫 𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕜𝕜𝕖𝕣

I'D LOST HER IN THE CROWD. Cursing as I tried to push through all of the people in their extravagant dresses and tailored suits. Kerch business parties were not for the scum of the barrel, but nothing a little fake paper work and stolen outfits couldn't fix.

It was a simple in and out mission, all we needed was to let Jesper and Inej work their magic in the vaults while we kept an eye on the target.

We had about an hour before the target would arrive and Inej and Jesper couldn't work until then, so Evilynn had been trying to enjoy the festivities all night. Which I said was a waste of time, but the voice inside me knew the smile she wore when some waiter brought her a little Ravkan pastry was worth every second.

I'd told her to wait with me, search the room, prepare for the target to arrive. But of course she'd chosen to slip away instead.

My feet help me down as I tried to find her, and without my cane I couldn't go too fast without falling into too much pain.

When I saw her she was speaking to some guy, though I couldn't hear them just yet. I felt something build up in my chest that I recognized too well. The man she was talking to was dressed in a navy silk suit, he had a gold watch on his wrist, and if I'd taught her anything she's better have half a mind to steal it.

As I got closer I heard them discussing the Ravkan country side and the feeling in my chest expanded. I had to tell myself that only I knew that she grew up in a blue country estate in East Ravka with her parents; her mother who used to be a traveler, and her father who was a respected political man in the Ravkan court. Only I knew that she changed the name of her stuffed bear after she'd been given the stage name Rabbit and no longer wanted to be associated with the fluffy tailed creatures.

Once I'd finally found my way to her, I stood behind her and sent a stare to the business man, not a particularly friendly one. I slipped one hand onto the curve of her corset, firstly, to let her know I was behind her, but mostly to send a warning to the rich boy.

"Well um," the boy stuck out his hand to shake but she didn't take it. "I'll be on my way."

For a second we watched him leave before she spun around to face me, "you really are no fun." She smirked at me, drifting her hands up to my face. I no longer feared her touch like I did others, she was different, my want for her outweighed my distaste for contact.

"We're on the job." I looked down at her.

"Not for another hour," she whined.

"That doesn't mean you can go chat up some family money rich boy," I scoffed.

"Jealous much?" She chucked, "you really need to relax. We're at a party."

"I'll relax when I'm dead." I tried to keep my usual tone but my eyes trailed her painted lips.

"Of course. But I did get something for you." She then pulled the man's shiny gold watch from her pocket. "Since you broke yours."

She slipped it into the hidden pocket inside my jacket, then leaned up and kissed my cheek. "At least try to have fun with me, it would be a waste to shove me in a corner."

"And probably cause you to completely loose your mind. You couldn't sit still if your life depended on it." I pressed back, falling into the usual banter.

She smirked up at me, but slowly it fell as she looked past me. Her back straightened and her smile fell into place like the performer she was, the target had arrived.

AN: And there we have it everyone, I hope you've enjoyed reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it, even if it made me want to rip my head off sometimes.