Prologue (Part 2)

Money Money Money

Must be funny

In a rich mans world

~ABBA~

𝕂𝔸ℤ 𝔹ℝ𝔼𝕂𝕂𝔼ℝ

I WAS AGITATED, TO SAY THE LEAST,  we had just finished a heist and I needed something to do. Inej was off doing whatever it is she does and Jesper was gambling away as per usual. With nothing else to do, I sifted through the random papers on my desk with a pour expression.

It was mostly advertisements that I had no interest in giving a second glance, till something caught my eye. 

'Circus Elysium,' I read, 'I seem to remember Jesper mentioning this.'

I had told him it was silly and we wouldn't have time for it anyway, considering I expected this last heist to take longer then it did, we would be able to make it to see the show if we wished.

Suddenly Jesper entered the room.

"Hey boss- oh, you looking into the show I see," He smirked, equally smug and excited.

"I merely glanced at the flyer," I lied with a bored expression.

"But hey! We'd still be able to go, see the opening show eh," He pointed what he'd previously described as 'finger guns' at me, trying to win me over.

"I'm not paying to see a bunch of idiots in make-up do tricks," I quipped putting down the paper, "Besides I already deal with you everyday."

"Hurtful," he put a hand to his heart dramatically, "but that's not all it is, they're professionals, they can do things even you have never seen!"

I rolled my eyes, "I'll think about it."

"Yes! You won't regret it boss!" He then exited the room, likely having forgotten what he came in for.

I took a last look at the poster, I had already made up my mind, I was curious, and perhaps it could come in handy later, knowing a bit more about the circus.

So I went out to tell Jesper.

When I got there I noticed him speaking to a woman, she had teased, short black hair tied up into two pigtails, she was a bit taller as well, likely 5"8 or 5"9. She was wearing a dress with a navy blue skirt , pinned up to show the cream white petticoat and her faded red stockings; on top she wore a bright red corset with a slightly dirty undershirt, similar to that of a pirate or sailor, underneath.

I watched and listened to them speak briefly, in that short time I decided to wait a bit before telling Jesper, not wanting him to think I was doing this just because of his short time trying to convince me. 

So I waited about an hour before telling him what we'd be doing and once the time came we started heading over to the show.

"Oh this is so exciting! You know I don't think we've done anything like this in a while, or ever." He shrugged with a smile as we stood in line.

I frowned, "this better be worth the wait."

"Oh I'm sure it will be, also, what made you change your mind anyway. I'd love to think it was my amazing persuasion skills but it doesn't seem likely."

I kept a foul expression on my face as we entered the show tent, "thought I could get some kruge if I returned you here."

"Oh haha, but seriously, come one Kaz I'm curious."

"That's unimportant, and the show seems to be starting."

"Welcome everyone, to The Circus Elysium! Please save the applause!" He's bright plastered smile and booming voice reminded me why I hated performers so much.

'Fake, untrustworthy, always playing some kind of game, wildcards.' I thought.

"To start our acts I present to you, Ax Act Maniac!"

Suddenly the spotlight changed, and we were looking at three trapeze artists and four clowns all dangerously close to losing an arm.

I looked over to notice Jesper's mouth agape. 

"That's the girl I met at the club!" He pointed out, "see I told you this would be worth it!"

I sighed and sat back in my seat, but my eyes would not dispatch from the mess in front of me.

The girl Jesper was talking about was in fact the girl I saw him speaking with earlier.

As they exited the stage the ring leaders voice boomed again, "Give a big round of applause for our Trapeze artists!"

I couldn't pinpoint where exactly his voice was coming from, but I did see a different man appear in the middle of the stage.

"Hello everyone, I am what you might consider, a magician," He smirked, his face illuminated  only by torches lining the pedestal he stood on.

"Now If you're curious about my name, please open your coat pockets." He spread his arms out wide.

I rolled my eyes, a cheap trick, they likely slipped it into the pocket when we were entering. None the less though I still checked, seeing a pamphlet I rolled my eyes again but left it in my coat.

By the end of the show I decided that it was a complete waste of three hours.

We walked back to the crow club in science till Jesper spoke, "Wonder if we'll ever see that trapeze girl again."

"I highly doubt it, but I can say with quite certainty she was not a trapeze artist." I lean on my cane as I walk.

"What ya mean?"

"Her grip of the bar was different then the other two and she only held the ax once leading me to believe they altered the act to make sure she didn't slip up. Besides, considering all the loose tricks and flexibility she had I would guess she does contortion of some sort."

"Sharp as ever boss," Jesper laughed and I just nodded as we entered the club.

I went straight to my office; not the main one, my bedroom.

I toss the pamphlet on my desk and take off my jacket, feeling instantly cooler then before as the air pricks my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

I sit at my table and look over the money collected from today when I notice the pamphlet again; it sat open with little information on each of the performers. Looking over I noticed under the picture of the girl from before it read that she was from a small orphanage in, East Ravka

AN: alright that concludes the Prologue, like I said before these first two chapters are a lot shorter then I hope to make the rest but I hope you still liked them.

Before I say anything else I would just like to give a shout out to my dog who kept putting his nose in my face while I was editing this.

Next chapter will be in Evilynn's POV and will start us off into the show, it will definitely come out today if I can get the editing done!

Thanks so much for reading!

-larrythebusdriver