Peotry

𝔼𝕧𝕚𝕝𝕪𝕟𝕟 ℙ𝕚𝕖𝕤𝕥

WE SPENT THE NEXT FEW DAYS back at Slat to recuperate. I played cards with Jesper and spoke with Inej and Nina most of the time, for whatever reason Wylan seemed to be avoiding me, and I barely saw Kaz. He was almost always in his room, alone, not speaking to anyone.  

I heard his voice again for the first time that morning in the most unpleasant way possible, he woke me up. Banging on my door he yelled, "hurry downstairs, Ravka needs saving."

I groaned and yelled back, "Ravka can kiss my ass!" But of course I still got out of bed, though I took my sweet time getting ready. Adorned with my old jewelry, make-up, and clothes I looked more like my old self, which was both good and bad. I wore a thin red skirt with a black corset that was held up by two straps.

My eyes trained for a moment on my mothers ring, it was still surreal to me that I had it back.

When I finally made my way down the stares I saw everyone discussing some Prince with two unfamiliar faces, though one I swear I'd seen before.

"Sorry I'm late, my bed was far more interesting than whatever problems Ravka has now." I propped myself behind Nina. "This better be good."

I got two very different looks from the strangers, the Shu man smiled at me while the familiar woman glared into my soul with a heavy look of distaste.

"We need you to retrieve and deliver the neshyenyer to Alina Starkov in East Ravka." The Man said.

"She's returned?" Nina asked.

"As has the darkling," the woman I now remembered as Zoya frowned. "With an indestructible army of shadow monsters."

"Well that doesn't seem great," I frowned, "why are we helping?"

"Because they're rich darling and you know, morally good stuff." Jesper shrugged, my lips formed an O as I nodded and Zoya continued her speech.

"She needs the blade to kill them, it's the only thing that might work."

"Retrieve the blade, and the Prince will pay what you ask." The man concluded.

Kaz was still in rough shape, but that didn't diminish from his scowl, "I'd welcome the chance to help your prince spend his countries money."

Nina cut in, "I don't need Kruge, I need to get someone out of Hellgate. The Lantsovs must be able to pull strings with the Kerch government."

"For a certain Fjerdan?" Zoya tested, she was beginning to get on my nerves. "He must be quite the slab of fur."

Thankfully someone cut in, "the offer is the offer. Prince Nikolai is a man of his word."

"But we need to go now."

"It's settled," Kaz decided. "we're in."

I tried to approach Kaz before he could walk away again, I wanted to talk to him, see what was going on in that brain of his. Maybe even ask why he hadn't spoken to anyone till this morning where he's decided we're going to save the world for some reason.

But before I can even grab his attention he pushes me backwards with his cane and continues down the hall. The crows head, though didn't hit me hard at all, pressed against one of the bruises from Pekka that I had convinced everyone were totally fine.

Wincing, I stumbled back, he didn't even glance at me so I walked away. As I retreated to my room I rummaged through my brain for anything I could have done to deserve this cold shoulder. Of course I knew he was distraught after what had happened, I just hoped I could help more than in that one moment that night.

That night, I recalled the feeling of his hands on mine. Despite the leather that separated the touch I could feel his cold hands underneath. He had told me I was free, but I'd been free for a while now. I'd been free since the night he and Jesper had taken me from the circus. All I had to do was trust him after that, and for some stupid reason I did, completely. When a playful grin grew on my face I had to scold myself for even thinking about it.

I threw open the door to my room and almost jumped when I saw Jesper, Inej, and Nina all sitting in there.

"What on Earth are you guys doing in here, since when did my room become a public meeting place?"

Jesper grinned, "sorry love, you've got the nicest chairs."

Instead of actually addressing the fact they just came into my room for fun Nina said, "Your heartbeat was going crazy, I wonder what was running through your head."

"It's a shame you're not a mind reader then?" I grinned, then I stretched my arms up in the air, I was insanely sore, and when that didn't help I stretched backwards touching my hands to the back of my calves. It hurt pretty bad considering the bruises but it felt good to move around more since leaving the circus.

Jesper gave me an odd look, "I will never understand how someone can just... saints I don't even know what that is."

Inej elbowed him as I returned to a normal position. She looked at me and said, "have you spoken to Kaz at all?"

"Nope," I popped the P, "he's not taking visitors."

"Oh someones salty," Nina laughed, "he's pushing you away because he's afraid he's afraid he's gonna fall in love, darling."The room went silent for a moment, "Oh was I not supposed to say that out loud?"

Jesper smirked, "I for one, am glad that you did."

I rolled my eyes, though my heart skipped a beat. "You my friend still haven't told me about your little whatever-you're-calling-it with Wylan." When Jesper started staring at the floor I grinned. "Exactly, speaking of, you swear you didn't tell him I was psycho?"

He put his hands in the air, "I swear."

"hmm..." I frowned, where on earth would he have even heard of me? It wasn't like I even told him anything about my life before the crows, and still why would he care?

Eventually everyone left but my alone time was short lived, after I'd found myself bored I decided now might be the time to go speak with Kaz and the others. My shoes made a soft noise as I descended the wood staircase.

When I got there Kaz was wrapping up a lecture about the new heist, and since everyone was scattering I tried approaching him again. 

"Kaz," He didn't even flinch. "Kaz," not even a glance in my direction. "Kaz!" He kept walking. "KAZ!" Finally he turned with a terribly annoyed expression.

Instead of saying anything of substance he handed me my papers, "your passport." He frowned, "all the information is right on there." Something was seriously off I mean, I hadn't done anything that I could think of.

My mind was drawing a blank so Kaz just walked away and I couldn't think of anything to make him stop.

I trudged over to where Nina sat with a sour expression on my face. Tolya was sitting there as well but I wasn't really paying attention.

"What on earth could I have done," I frowned, "I swear everything was fine before the heist and now he doesn't even want to look at me."

I just couldn't think of what could be making him act like this it was weird, he hadn't treated me like this since I joined. At this point I was waiting for him to call me Rabbit.

AN:

Really sorry you guys, my brains have been totally mush but I did my best to write something so here it is, not my best work but I felt bad not updating.

I'll try and get something out next Friday but I'm also trying to finish a book and then speed read six of crows so I can get that started for you all as well, thank you so much for your patience.

Lots of love,

Your Favorite Bus Driver  : D